TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2.5 LITER PERFORMANCE MODS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 4:28pm
I've heard people argue that the rear wheels are where they are because that is the center of the wheel arc. My testing with a plumb bob did NOT prove that to be the case. My only guess is there was some attempt to make the car seem so powerful that that the wheels/chassis were accelerating  faster that the body itself - which again is something you see in cartoons.

It just looks odd and even more so with modern cars having the wheels so precisely centered in a round wheel well opening as a comparison. Some people don't seem to be bothered by it so maybe I'm just OCD. But is is comforting to know that I am not the only one.
'63 American Hardtop
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2021 at 11:47pm
If you follow the styling backwards, to the Nash Ramblers, there's a styling continuity. The placement is a style choice that has passed. Here's 1960, if you think 61 to 63 is forward!

68, 69 Americans, and other AMCs and probably other makes, the rear wheel cutout intentionally covers the top of the rear tire, making the car look butt-saggy. That was a styling choice that made sense then (or shortly before).

I dunno, I'm no purist, I hack at cars (when appropriate) for style or any purpose I come up with, but part of being old cars is being out of style! Foolishness like bucket seats, tilt steering wheels, alloy wheels, power steering, climate control, etc, who wants that modern crap in an old car? LOL

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2021 at 9:42am
I just watched the video... what phenomenal gas mileage! I was not expecting that! Kudos. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2021 at 6:12am
wittsend has it correct -- the wheel forward in the wheel well gives the illusion of the car in motion even though it's sitting still -- and perhaps that it's going faster than it seems. I forget where I read that, but IIRC it was a comment made by Ed Anderson, the head of AMC design at the time. It was just styling, and as TomJ mentioned, it's a styling "fad" that has passed...  I kind of like it because it's Rambler unique, makes the car look more like a Rambler and not everything else.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

the wheel forward in the wheel well gives the illusion of the car in motion even though it's sitting still...

... then what did the fully-enclosed wheels mean 10 years earlier! lol It's like hoop skirts or tall top hats -- what were they thinking?! Crazy, man.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 6:17am
Aerodynamics. Nash did wind tunnel testing when designing their new cars released in 1949. From https://www.allpar.com/threads/nash-motors-cars-1916-to-1954.228277/: "The aerodynamic 1949 Nash "Airflyte" was the first car of an advanced design introduced by the company after the war. Its aerodynamic body shape was developed in a wind tunnel. Nils Wahlberg's use of Breer, Zeder, and Skelton's theories on reducing an automobile body's drag coefficient resulted in a smooth shape and enclosed front fenders; both 600 and Ambassador models, on a 112 and 121 inch wheelbase respectively, had the same body."
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 1:56pm
This is with the spring perches drilled about two inches forward which sets the diff 2 inches back. two me it just looks more uniform and reduces the rear end overhang. its not much but makes a difference. 245/60 15 fit great all around 8.8 Explorer diff narrowed 3 inches and front suspension not stock and did roll the inner fender.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 2:01pm
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 2:06pm

Edited by WARBED - Oct/04/2021 at 2:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic