TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'62 Classic radio and clock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '62 Classic radio and clock
    Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 11:40pm
I have a 1962 Rambler Classic Delux.  I just purchased the clock and original radio for it.  In the Service tech manual it shows the clock light just tying into the instrument light, but it shows the other lead tying into the glove compartment courtesy light.  My car does not have this option.  Where would you run that wire?  The manual doesn't show were the (A lead) from the radio goes.  I'm assuming once you go through the in line fuse, you'd run the wire right to the ignition switch.  Does this sound right to you guys?  Any input will be greatly appreciated.
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2012 at 9:02am
Since I don't have a 62 radio, I cannot say what the "A" is refering to, but you mention it has a inline fuse so that leads me to beleive it is the power into the radio, it is grounded by the metal dash it mounts to. If the car has no fuse panel the ignition switch would be the place to get the power, the back of the switch has a terminal with acc stamped on it, but if you cannot see up under the dash, you will need to determine which feed from the ign switch has juice in the engin run position. you can do this by turning the switch to the engine run position "not start" but the run like when you let the key off and it stays running. take a little test light and ground the aligator clip to your dash put the test probe on each terminal of the switch with it shut off. You will then know the terminal of the power in as well as determine your light and ground are working, now turn the switch to the engine run mode, you will now find 2 or 3 more terminals that will light up, use the smaller wire of one of those and you will have tunes. Be sure to remember that if you test the radio with it not mounted in the dash, you need to hook a wire from the body of the radio to the dash for ground. Also the orange wire in your dash is the one you want to tap into for the lights, you can find it mounted on the side of your speedo gauge pod with a light bulb on it. Hope that helps. SH
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2012 at 9:06am
Sorry I just noticed you had asked about the power all the time to feed the clock, which would have come from the courtesy lamp. You get that from the terminal on the ignition switch labeled Bat, but again if you cannot get under the dash to see that, the test lamp will light up on that one constant with the key off, so you know it will feed the clock all the time. SH
Anubis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2012 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the info.  Everything you said makes sense to me.  I'm going to go give it a shot and see how it works out.

Anubis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 8:49pm
Radio and clock are working great!!  Thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic