TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clear Coat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2008 at 12:45pm
If you use R-M, BEWARE - they have a change in their product and using the wrong "reducer" will screw you up SOOOO badly.......... and some of their counter idiots don't know that, or don't care.
R-M cost me dearly and I stay clear of them.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2008 at 1:38pm
I've been using RM daily for about 10 years now, it's not the all-time favorite paint i've ever used, but i've had no problems I could blame on the paint. I wouldn't call it the most painter friendly paint i've ever used, but if you pay attention to the reducers and additives it'll give excellant results, it's the most consistent matching paint i've ever used, enough varients to match about anything. THe main problem is deciding on the varient.

billd I think I can remember the write up of your problem on the previous forum, I never could decide if you were ever given a straight answer to what really happened.

Like i've said i've used the product for quite a while and have to keep up with anything new. There's been no change in their reducers i'm aware of.

Edited by tyrodtom - Mar/08/2008 at 1:41pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2008 at 1:28pm
 I used R-M in two different body shops with good results in both. You got to figure all paints are made on bodyshop use and freindlyness, not how well will this work in "Joe Smoe's "garage in the backyard with a fan in the window for airflow. A real painter can adjust the paint to match. He's got a wall of tinter's to do so. "Joe" has got the paint some kid mixed up that gets paid minimum wage. Do you think he care's if he goes over two grams on the silver tint. It's not alot, but enough to throw the colar off. A painter has cabnents with addatives for differant temps, humidity, ect. "joe", just the hardner and reducer the kid sold him. The painter has real hands on experiance and training. "joe" has the kid giving him advice that's never sprayed it or been sent to training to actuly learn it.
 Now I now there are exemptions. There are those who know and use the products they sell. But the madjority don't. Heck, they think a Rambler is a Ford or a dodge.
 The paint is not the bread and butter of autopart store. That's why not all auto part stores sell it. Why doesn't Walmart sell it? Hmmm.
 One last thought. Doesn't the can say for trainned professional use only? How many of you are that? How many people behind the counter are?
 I can proudly say I am  PPG Certified Technicain in Bronze leval and Fleet
                                      R-M Factory Authorized Paint Technician
                                      NADC & Sherwin-Willams Training Program
  Sorry If I offened anyone, it just hit a nerve. There's a differance  between sprayers & painters. 
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2008 at 1:38pm
tom I saw the documentation. There was a change. The regional rep even admitted it. There was a change, the local dealer crossed off the new number (they were out) and wrote in the old number. The rep verified it was the wrong or old number. I saw the sheet.
Another friend who worked on the car verified what he heard as far as the conversation too.
the color was perfect, the finish was GREAT until the bad/wrong reducer took effect.
It didn't come from a parts store.......... none of the parts stores here handle R-M. It was from an auto body supply house.  I did visit the place later as I was curious. The fellow there when I was there did sort of have an "I don't give a $%@" attitude about things. Was much less than helpful.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic