TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tilt column rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Yup, it needs to be removed.. There's actually a special socket from Kent Moore (J-23193) to take off that nut. I found the socket on ebay for $20 shipped. I've been told that you can grind down a regular socket to make it thinner to get it to fit inside the well but I am a firm believer that the right tool for the job works best.

Miller Detroit  C-4117 U 
TILT STRNG LOCK NUT    The wording is old and not so clear as it's been used a time or ten. Had to buff it a bit to find the tool number on it. I think that the middle word is STRNG as if to abbreviate it. 

Do a Google search - they are on eBay now and then.
I forgot that I even had this tool - it's part of the tool stash I got from my former boss years ago along with Kent-Moore tools. 

Likely you'll find the Miller Detroit version a whole lot easier to find than the Kent Moore version.

BBG69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBG69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 7:25am
Thanks, 1970390AMX for a great write up!  While replacing the turn signal switch on my 69 AMX I found a lot of white sand in the column!  The car previously lived in Florida!  It was caked so I ended up taking the outer column off completely.  The upper bearings were full of sand.  Now I'm starting to put it all back together.  It's not a tilt column so that makes it simpler.  

Looking for diagrams.  Is the 69 column the same as GM?  I've heard Camaro or Corvette?  The SM doesn't have detailed diagrams so looking for pointers.  
apd6545 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2023 at 9:24am
I have a tilt column which I want to put in my 70 Javelin that I purchase on eBay.  I need the very top bearing which is missing, any Ideas I where I might get one.  thanks , By the way I want to thank those who sent pictures for my linage concern.  After 40 years of storage Waiting for one part and it could be back on the road. 
apd6545
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2023 at 10:38am
I believe the bearing in this kit will do the job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364362076671

It doesn't say '70, but the internals of the '70 and up columns are pretty similar.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic