TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust on an XJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust on an XJ
    Posted: Jun/21/2011 at 9:36am
Hey, anyone up here in rust belt land needs to take a look at your steering box section of unit body.
Our 97 rusted through right between the two lower box mounting holes.
I used the kit below after clearing the inner frame of mud and dirt and sealing it all as best I could.
The kit says 2.0hrs, ha! Try 6.5 when you break off two of the three through frame bolts and have to drive them thru with another 7/16" bolt! Then drop the pitman arm and pull the hose. Put the broken sections of bolts in a vice and use the box as a "wrench" to get the aluminum collar and bolt stub out.
What a mess, but when done it leaves me with no worries for at least another 3 or 4 years.
no way that box is coming loose with this setup!
  I painted mine with silver rough finish metallic wheel paint. It is easily seen and looks pretty cool while giving no hint of what lurked in there only last week! Not affiliated wit the company, but they gave good timely answers when I asked if it was in stock and shipped pretty quick for just using ground shipping.

http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
nossliw View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nossliw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2011 at 10:29pm
always been a week spot...brace it if you can
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 9:48am
Want a rustfree '91 Chassis to put your parts into? They are SOOO cheap here in Seattle it's not funny!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic