TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where does the seatbelt bolt to on a 74 Jav AMX?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where does the seatbelt bolt to on a 74 Jav AMX?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does the seatbelt bolt to on a 74 Jav AMX?
    Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 10:03pm
The previous owner of my car took the seatbelts out and fiberglassed over the rusty floorboards. I am going to be replacing those soon, but for the time being I want to drive it! Unfortunately, he also continued the glass up onto the rocker panels and apparently covered up the holes for the seatbelts bolt to. Can anyone give me an idea of where these things bolt to?

I want to get the belts on this car so I can start driving it!
gravelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2008 at 1:16am
The seatbelts on a 71-74 Jav bolt into a large chunk of steel directly horizontal from the bolt-holes in the middle of the car. If you get a grinder/sander, and work away at the fiberglass on your rocker area, until you get to metal, you should be able to find a thicker piece of metal (approx. 1/4" thick, 3"x 4.5" or so) with a threaded hole in it. Good luck
Humpsters don't get the recognition they deserve.
Birdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2008 at 12:17pm
Found it! Thanks, man! Of course, the threads are stripped out, though.
gravelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2008 at 1:33pm
Well, of course they are, lol. I don't know if it's possible to drill it out and put a nut on the other side...? At least without some cutting, and no one likes that. But if you're cutting out the floorpans anyway, you coulsd cut a small section just big enough for a wrench to hold a nut in place... just an(probably bad) idea.
Humpsters don't get the recognition they deserve.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2008 at 1:45pm
If it's that rusted and glassed over, is the belt going back in just for looks?
XJ-001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

If it's that rusted and glassed over, is the belt going back in just for looks?

AMEN! Oops, wrong post, sorry.....
1970 AMX 390 4spd

1970 Javelin 390 Auto (Project)

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland Edition

2002 Olds Intrigue (The Other Orphan)

Bloomington, MN
Birdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2008 at 3:47am
Just the floorboards are rusted. The rockers are fine. The previous owner just went a little nuts with the fiberglass and covered pretty much everything. The seatbelt bolt area was solid.

Last night I cut out a little section and welded a Grade 8 nut in behind the hole and bolted up the seatbelt with another Grade 8 bolt. It is in there nice and snug. I welded the rocker back and ground it down. Should work fine . :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic