TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lifting an eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting an eagle
    Posted: Feb/22/2010 at 11:44pm
What would the cost be to lift an eagle 3-6"? So far it's doing great with some trails, but it occasionally bottoms out when it's least convenient... like when I'm trying to pull my friend's Blazer out of a deep ditch filled with snow, and I get high centered on a bump cus I'm not lookin' behind me! 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2010 at 6:48am
Doing it right, or on the cheap?
Cheap - use blocks under rear springs and spacers under front springs. And the front end won't be alignable any more and the rear will be unstable.
Correct, use custom rear springs, perhaps a thin 1" block and custom springs although most of the lift could come from custom springs - $500 for GOOD ones.
Cheap springs = regret later.

For the front, ball joint spacers. You need to maintain geometry of the arms up front. Using spring spacers simply pushes down the control arms and since the top arm is shorter (it's a SLA system) the top arm will swing in a tighter arc and will move the top of the spindle in, really messing with camber. However, using a ball joint spacer on the top will push down only on the spindle and lower arm, maintaining the upper arm at a near lever position. The lower arm swings a wider arc, so won't "move in" as much, and camber will not be impacted as much.
A combination of a ball joint spacer and a spring spacer can get you pretty close and still be reasonable on alignment.
OR, go front straight axle.............
Keep in mind, what you do for the trail may make it less of a pleasure-cruiser on the highway and city streets, although the look will be cool.
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2010 at 2:11pm
i wouldn't be surprised if someone stuffed a CJ front axle under one already.
68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2010 at 9:18pm
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1348

That guys crazy!

I had my eagle wagon lifted with 1" rear shackles, 1" rear blocks, and 2" front coil spacers. It drove great and didnt have any accelerated tire wear.
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2010 at 10:06pm
You are free to do what you want with your vehicle.
I happen to know the facts, and have heard from more than one about spring wrap issues, and certain braking issues.
I also know of some folks over on the nest that complained about alignment using spring spacers, as well as other issues, so I guess not all Eagle folks agree.

Whatever........... but I'll never give advice that will cause damage, wear, or risk, just the facts.
I worked in alignment for many years and can tell you the results of many modifications. You modified a car, probably never checked the alignment or other angles, so are going on......... ?
Again, your car, do whatever.

Edited by billd - Apr/23/2010 at 10:07pm
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 4:19pm
Wow man, dont get bent out of shape.

Im just stating what i did. Ill bet the alignment was off, and your right i never had it aligned but i drove it daily for 3 years until i sold it and never had tire wear issues.....i even kept the tires since they were in such good shape. A 1 or 2" block isnt going to make the rear end unstable. Ive run lift blocks in almost every 4x4 vehicle ive lifted, heck dodge trucks used like 4" blocks from the factory.

I didnt mean to offend you by any means, you are right on suspension geometry being off. Im just sharing my experience with the situation.

Edited by jeepjerry - Apr/25/2010 at 5:29pm
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

Blue Stinger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 7:51pm
My son wants to lift his newly acquired '82 Eagle wagon.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  There are a couple of good ideas in this thread already but what I really need are parts sources and suppliers.  Thanks.
Mark Ogulnick
Boulder City, NV
'71 Hornet SC 360
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 8:27pm
Are the blocks above or below the springs?
What's the rate or stiffness of the springs............Are they soft springs like in the eagle, or truck springs?

Blocks you can buy at many auto parts stores.
I've got a pair of spring spacers I'd sell.
Ball joint spacers will be a different matter - I wonder if Matt - MC from bulltear here would make some.......hmmmmmm.
I might see if he'll make me a pair.
woody wagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2010 at 11:08pm
in the rear if you are good with tools you can just simply swap the axle arong from the top of the leaf to the bottom you can get a good 2inchs buy doin that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic