TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Front Supension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 9:32am
  I know that the 70 go pack cars included heavy duty suspension, including stiffer springs.  Were the springs stiffer in the 68-69 AMX go pack cars as well?
  I am just wondering if an option in future rebuilds would be to use standard springs and stiffer shocks?  Just trying to think about what compromise would be best for some.
  Personally, I like a stiff car.  I have go pack springs in my 70 and adjustable shocks.  I'm looking forward to getting it on the road to see how I like it.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 9:36am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

I know that the 70 go pack cars included heavy duty suspension, including stiffer springs.  Were the springs stiffer in the 68-69 AMX go pack cars as well?
  I am just wondering if an option in future rebuilds would be to use standard springs and stiffer shocks?  Just trying to think about what compromise would be best for some.
  Personally, I like a stiff car.  I have go pack springs in my 70 and adjustable shocks.  I'm looking forward to getting it on the road to see how I like it.

Mike

It should be fine as long as your fillings in your teeth aren't already loose.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 11:12am
‘70 is kinda/sorta a different animal with the upper/lower ball joint suspension. I’m sure several things changed as a result, including spring rates. So comparing ‘68/‘69 to ‘70 is kinda apples and oranges. 

I have seen a few period reviews of the ‘70 AMX/Javelin that stated that the ride/handling actually suffered slightly as a result of the change from trunnions to upper balljoints. On the other hand, period reviews of the ride & handling of the ‘68 and ‘69 AMX were, on the whole, very complimentary. 

For my $.02, my ‘69 AMX with older Rare Parts trunnions, OEM rubber bushings, stock springs, bias-ply tires, and oil-filled shocks (not gas-filled for radials) handles and rides just fine. It’s incredibly subjective though, but it’s as close as I can get to how it rode and handled new, which is what I was after. 

When you change one component in the suspension, in reality you’re altering everything, maybe for the better, but oftentimes for the worst. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jun/10/2023 at 11:14am
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Yes they were.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 12:39pm
My $.02.

1. Rare Parts trunnions are not worth the cost. I ordered a set a year ago under the impression from their website that they would be rebuilt with factory correct bushings. Nothing could be further from the truth. I will leave it at that. Prothane bushings are faaaaaar cheaper, and work perfectly IF they are installed properly. There is still alot of misinformation floating around about installing these. 

2. I rebuilt my front suspension in a 68 AMX completely, top to bottom. Prothane bushings in the trunnions, and factory style rubber everywhere else. NAPA gas shocks. The ride is excellent.

YMMV.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 3:03pm
Rare Parts trunnions may not be worth the cost now - I bought mine 5+ years ago, probably closer to 10, waaay before COVID. Couldn’t speak to what they’re like now, but unfortunately that’s true of a lot of companies these days. 

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2023 at 2:55pm
mbwicz - All the Front Coil Spring specific specs are in the 1969 AMC TSM
but it appears they are ABSENT, not in, 1970 AMC TSM, which is unfortunate.
Yes, the 68-9 AMX have three different Coil spring choices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic