TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70 AMX Tail Lights Malfunctioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '70 AMX Tail Lights Malfunctioning
    Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 10:56am
A couple of Fridays ago as I was leaving the Auburn, MA Elks weekly cruise night someone told me that my AMXs driver side tail lights were on but the passenger side tail lights were out. This was odd because none of the lights were turned on, so I pulled over to check it out and sure enough, the driver side tail lights were on, the passenger side were off, and the headlight switch was in the off position. I turned the lights on and the headlights and front directional signals were fine, but the rear tail lights on the drivers side were still on, the passenger side was still off, the rear directional signals did not work, and the brake lights did not work. The tail lights were hosed. Great. I've got a 10 mile ride to get home with no brake lights and using hand directional signals. Luckily, no cops got behind me and I made it home without getting caught by the law. So I figured the rear lights are on with the headlight switch off, time for a new headlight switch. Replaced the headlight switch expecting all to be fine, but no, the drivers side tail lights are still ON with the headlight switch OFF! The front headlights and directional signals all work fine, but the rears, including the brake lights, are hosed. I'm thinking maybe the brake light switch?

Edited by davec1957 - Jun/05/2023 at 11:14am
1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 11:06am
 You might have an issue with the directional switch in the steering column, I am no expert here I would think if the brake light switch was bad the rear brake lights would be stuck on or not go on at all. Dickie Towers just recently had a strange issue with his tail lights he mentioned something about loading the trunk with stuff then the problem happened so it could be something other.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jun/05/2023 at 11:08am
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 3:59pm
Are you sure it was the tail lights on and not the brake lights?

I can think of no reason why the tail lights would be lit with the headlight switch off.

Certainly, a bad turn signal switch in the column can cause the behaviour you are seeing if it's the brake lights that are on. I don't suspect the brake light switch since only one side is lit

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
davec1957 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:04pm
It may, in fact, have been the brake light filament in the bulbs that were on when the headlight switch was off, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I could disconnect the wiring cable from the steering column and if the lights go out the turn signal switch must be the culprit.
1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic