TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin TorqStorm supercharger kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 11:03am
Trader

The inlet hat is bolted down tight under the lid the rest is just for show to make it look like stock ram air, I don't like the looks of just the supercharger hat.

J
Silverlaketim View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverlaketim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2023 at 5:57pm
Phill -Chris at torqstorm told me the crank loading is much more even with twin blowers. There is less bending force on the crank as you said will help the 360 crank live I hope ! I will try to post pics as I get into the engine builds. The engines will be going in a 76 Hornet pro street wagon for drag and drive racing. Maybe I’ll start a thread in the Drag race section as things progress.
TL
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 8:02am
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 9:42am
I'm curious about something..... the Torqstorm supercharger inlet sits just above the engine's exhaust. I see most people put the air filter directly on the inlet side, right above the exhaust manifold/header.

Wouldn't that draw hot air into the supercharger? I've got mine on a 90 degree bend that brings the air filter up under my hood scoop. I've also been told adding the tube is a restriction to the inlet flow. Also since I've got the driver's side mounted supercharger the brake master cylinder interferes with the air filter directly to the supercharger. Guess I could go with a manual aftermarket braking system which would make more room there.

Anyhow, what's the best location/design for mounting the supercharger inlet air filter?

-Steve-
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 10:02am
Seen a few Procharger kits on Challengers and Mustangs that have a semi offset that takes the intake to the back and uses the cowl induction hood. Imagine that's about as straight a shot to cool air as you can get.
At a show Tuesday and a guy couldn't get a 2023 Hellcat with 1025 HP so he took his older one to a shop.  Showed me the dyno sheets, 1032 HP engine, 854 HP at the wheels, his superchargers were set up with cowl intakes. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

I'm curious about something..... the Torqstorm supercharger inlet sits just above the engine's exhaust. I see most people put the air filter directly on the inlet side, right above the exhaust manifold/header.

Wouldn't that draw hot air into the supercharger? I've got mine on a 90 degree bend that brings the air filter up under my hood scoop. I've also been told adding the tube is a restriction to the inlet flow. Also since I've got the driver's side mounted supercharger the brake master cylinder interferes with the air filter directly to the supercharger. Guess I could go with a manual aftermarket braking system which would make more room there.

Anyhow, what's the best location/design for mounting the supercharger inlet air filter?

-Steve-

I'd much rather have that little bit of restriction than the hot air off of the exhaust. I've seen a couple of these systems that guys made some sort of cold air intake for them. One was a Chevelle that he cut into the cowl at the firewall and had a box built around the air filter. Some have made heat shields to block some of that heat. On an older engine with no knock sensors, IMO you're gambling on the engines health sucking hot air in.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

-Steve-

My incomplete solution is to mount the filter forward and try to get cooler air to it. Holes have been cut under and around the filter for outside air with the intent to make an enclosure to keep out hot underhood air. Also thinking of a thermal barrier coating on the "U" pipe on the blower inlet.

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 12:09pm
 I had the same thought about inlet temperature, I created adaptors for 3" ID aluminum flex duct that will loop around and relocate the air filter down in front of the steering box lower radiator area I will insulate the flex duct, it's not complete yet I need the engine and radiator in place for fitting and creating the lower filter mounting bracket. 

J

Silverlaketim View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverlaketim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 1:17pm
I too have been thinking on where to pull intake air from. Was also thinking cowl area. Will make final decision after engine and blowers are in place. Many of us know how tight small body amc engine compartments are. Will be a challenge! The twin blower dual carb video I have seen before. Was told by torqstorm not to run separate carb hats on dual quads.They told me you need to feed both carbs off of a
Common plenum that both blowers feed into.
TL
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by 401Ambo 401Ambo wrote:

My incomplete solution is to mount the filter forward and try to get cooler air to it. Holes have been cut under and around the filter for outside air with the intent to make an enclosure to keep out hot underhood air. Also thinking of a thermal barrier coating on the "U" pipe on the blower inlet.

Here's how I did my cold air intake system. You may or may not use that style filter I did but maybe it might give some ideas on how to do yours.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic