TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'76 304 HP Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worm611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 5:55pm
I would happily take that Holly Z off your hands :-)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by worm611 worm611 wrote:

I would happily take that Holly Z off your hands :-)
  I like it better than the performer myself and I wont sell it. Its very hard to find
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 9:08pm
 A set of 517 heads with 52.2 cc chambers would bring the compression up to about 9:1 then change to the right 4BBL intake without heat riser, cam, ignition, dual exhaust, and electric fan you would have a reliable fun driving 304 that could get respectable fuel economy and go when you want it to.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - May/29/2023 at 9:10pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by JGRANTAMX JGRANTAMX wrote:

A set of 517 heads with 52.2 cc chambers would bring the compression up to about 9:1 then change to the right 4BBL intake without heat riser, cam, ignition, dual exhaust, and electric fan you would have a reliable fun driving 304 that could get respectable fuel economy and go when you want it to.

J

I think more compression and bigger valves will help. But I still think a 360 is more cost effective. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 6:56am
Sometimes it's just a bad combination of parts. But performance parts on a very tired engine won't help it for sure! Could be high mileage or it sat for a long time. Lifters collapse and/or the springs get weak with age, especially if the engine sat for a long time at one point. I'd do a compression check first, and if that's good stick an oil pressure gauge on it. If that's good as well the lifters probably need to be replaced.
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 7:50am
On any AMC with a V8, the first step to making it perform is to get rid of the restrictive single exhaust and run duals...minimum of 2" diameter. Even better is free-flow manifolds to begin with, and a set of low-restriction mufflers. No sense in putting more air/fuel mixture in before you build a way to get it out.

IIRC, a '76 Matty would have a Prestolite distributor. Replace it next. Even going to the Delco points distributor would be a step up, IMHO. Then you can upgrade the Delco to electronic; there are several conversion choices. Or step up to a Duraspark ('78-up V8s) and replace the Motorcraft module with a GM HEI module. Go to the big cap and the corresponding rotor [and coil] if you have room.

THEN you're about ready to check out cam and induction. Because with an adequate exhaust system and a decent ignition system, you've laid the groundwork. And if THEN you decide to step up to a 360, your work will still transfer over.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2023 at 5:54am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

For a smaller 4 door Concord... I feel that this is mostly adequate. But for a large car like a Matador... I'd personally want a lot more Torque. Torque is what helps move a big car easier. And most people think they want a lot of horsepower but what they really want is a lot of Torque. That's the sensation they feel when driving around casually.  

I agree with the more torque comment and I agree with Buzzman;s and others comments especially the add dual exhaust part.  I would go a step further with the build a low end torque 304 or 360 build by converting the transmission to a automatic overdrive with a lockup converter. This will allow you to go with a 3.54 or 373 gear which will really help with low end torque and throttle response. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic