TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where to get 12v for pertronix II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get 12v for pertronix II
    Posted: May/26/2023 at 8:10am
I am wondering where to tie into for the 12v for the igniter II? It’s on a 65 Marlin with 327. Thanks 
mark_k View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 12:02pm
I was thinking of tiring in right there on the resistor, that a good spot?
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 1:38pm
IfI that's the old style white resistor block, than put it there opposite the original coil +.
mark_k View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 2:28pm
Here is the resistor. Do I hook the red wire there then just hook the yellow wire back up to the coil like factory?

Edited by mark_k - May/26/2023 at 3:23pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2023 at 4:33pm
Input side of the resistor or you can bypass the resistor altogether. Another option is to install a relay and use the original wiring to activate it. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 10:39pm
Bypassing the ballast to feed 12v to the coil is a bad idea unless the coil is specifically designed to operate at 12v for long periods of time. Stock points-type coils are not. They will burn out if you try that.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Bypassing the ballast to feed 12v to the coil is a bad idea unless the coil is specifically designed to operate at 12v for long periods of time. Stock points-type coils are not. They will burn out if you try that.

so he has to have a full 12 volts for the pertronix.  It was for the points to run through the resistor not the coil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2023 at 2:30am
Good idea to update the coil while you are at it to one designed to work with a full 12 volt supply.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2023 at 7:08am
Just use the matching coil for the pertronix and run 12v. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic