TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 ambassador 343 V8 rear axle repair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 2:20pm
Interesting that they chose to use 9 inch brakes on a model 20 behind a 343
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 2:24pm
Well I have an AMC20 in the garage, casting #3185691 on the pumpkin with 10"x2" brakes, 2-1/4" pads would fit if they could be sourced, but 2-1/2" pads would not.
Picked it up after putting the Ford 8.8 in as an AMC20 could not be found locally at the time and 8.8's were dirt cheap.
The car came with a GM rear and springs with the rear tires sitting 3/4" from the front wheel well, hence the requirement to make a change.
Posted an enquiry about the differential casting on the old Forum years ago with no response.
Can post pictures, but most have seen an AMC20 before.

Should add it's 58" flange to flange, non torque tube

Edited by Trader - Jun/05/2023 at 3:02pm
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 3:35pm
Please check and measure.  In general, Frank knows more about these things than I ever will but I seem to recall that both by 67 and 68 343 Ambos have the larger drums.  So measure twice, please.  I may be wrong.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 4:27pm

This looks like under 10", but hard to get a scale to show edge to edge with the phone. It's 10.012" average. Inside mike scale does not show on a picture at all - at least with the phone camera.

If someone can identify what this AMC20 came out of, I'd still appreciate it. Found it at a farm while looking at a Gremlin that I should have bought.

Edited by Trader - Jun/05/2023 at 7:05pm
NewGenAMC View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewGenAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:02pm
Measurements from what ur explaining ringed off the memory it’s the Bendix 10x2-1/2 that’s exactly the system he explained while he was trying to explain what he had done to it because no it wasn’t how it came factory, he had said vaguely he wanted to “beef them up” and later said he should of just done a rear conversion to disc(apparently u can do that out of amx or javelins?) anyway thank you for the info and reminder of the systems brand name, just so I can get it road-worthy again. I’m wanting to have disc all around with it at some point though because I might have a solid second 343 and tranny out of a DPL that if I want to use it to chase some hp with and piece together and not have to worry about the other stuff required to handle that, I like to drive my cars and this one in particular even tho it’s had some upgrades to it, they’ve been left to rust out again by the time a new one was introduced  (coastal so lots of rainCryCry)and never had it’s legs stretched for a long period of time. The frame is a little rusty but not cracked or anything just some surface stuff that I would rather have a shop deal with (if that happens to come up). Again thanks for the answer, lemme know anything else helpful with the direction I’m going, I’m gunna start switching these posts/questions to the project side now if anybody wants to keep up, start postin pics and stuff, but those are probably where most of the questions I have now will suit for the forum.Smile

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 8:38pm
It's not that I "know" about the brakes, I have a set of TSMs from 1955-1983. I looked up what the brakes should be.  The larger brakes were standard on wagons, but could be ordered as heavy duty fleet equipment on other cars -- usually fleet cars like taxis.

You can get bolt-on rear disc brake kits for the AMC from several sources. Rustic brakes is one. They also make a bolt-on front disc brake kit that uses Ford rotors, GM calipers. Stuff you can easily get and reasonably priced! All but the 79-83 AMC rotors are pricey and hard to find.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic