TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Delco Distributor Advance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delco Distributor Advance
    Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 2:17pm
I have a 57 Rambler with a 250 ci V-8 engine. I need new springs on the mechanical advance. It's completely stock and keeping it that way. I am wondering where I can get the correct springs for my Delco distributor. I see spring kits on Amazon but don't know if they are the correct ones. Any help would be appreciated. 

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 2:32pm
Post in the wanted section to see if anyone has a spare distributor that they'll sell.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 6:49pm
The manual should give specifications for mechanical advance degrees at different engine speeds. You need to swap out springs and spin the engine up with a tachometer and a timing light. Heavier springs will reduce the advance at a given engine speed until the limit is reached. Factory springs tend to be on the heavier side. You can sometimes bend the springs a little to change their tension, too. 

Or you do it on a distributor machine. Honestly if ignition point distributors are going to be a regular thing for you, a distributor machine is worthwhile. I hate leaning way over the fender to reach distributors that are way at the back of the engine for things like point changes. It's easier just to pull them out and plop them on the machine. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 8:05pm
When your car was still new, I was reading car magazines that were the size of a Readers Digest.  All the articles on advance curve said to set the initial timing at 12 degrees, use a bushing to adjust the amount of mechanical advance to a total of 36 degrees.  If you insist on lower performance and even lower gas mileage, use the stiffest springs that come in the advance curve kit to approximate a stock curve.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 9:01pm
Yeah, I've read those too. I tend to believe engineers and their peer-reviewed technical journals more than I believe backyard mechanics with typewriters who tend to over-simplify complicated matters. 

Factory timing curves are conservative because they are designed to work under all operating conditions, whether it's Arizona in July or Minnesota in January, without detonation. They are designed so the vehicle owner can set their engine to that specification and forget about it. Most factory-spec timing curves leave about 5% more torque output on the table during good conditions (Minnesota), but that margin narrows under bad conditions (Arizona). 

You can advance your timing under good conditions (high altitude, humid, cold, high octane gas) if you want, and get about 5% more torque. But you would have to retard the timing back down again when the conditions got worse to avoid melting your pistons right out of your engine block.

Have you ever noticed how many 1967 and up AMC V8's have broken piston ring lands? It's not a manufacturer defect. It's because people crank up their timing thinking they are so gosh-darn smart. Detonation can happen without you ever hearing it and it's a cumulative thing that adds up over time. 

Moreover, the timing curve is designed to match how the engine's timing needs change over its operating RPM range, which is determined by the engine's mechanical design and configuration (cam, combustion chamber, etc.) rather than the operating conditions (humidity, octane, etc.). Adjusting the timing for operating conditions should be done by adjusting the BASE timing setting rather than the advance curve. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 10:05am
Well, Frank, you and Mark can just be slow and spend more money on fuel.  I have made a lot of cars faster without reading peer reviewed engineering journals.  

BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 4:20pm
Save Yourself the guess work and send it to Advanced Distributors in Minnesota. 
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
hot57rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 4:22pm
I found them online yesterday. I think I will. Thanks for the recommendation!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic