TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam shaft advice for 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2023 at 5:46pm
The 232 could be made into a good running motor, an example:
An AMC I6, body had many customizations including moving the engine further back, a roll cage, seat centered for balancing. 40 MPH for this jump!
Only took one filming for the successful jump with no damage to the driver or the car.
Little piece of AMC I6 history.  

Edited by Trader - Apr/09/2023 at 6:16pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2023 at 6:44am
The 199 (same block and bore as 232, shorter stroke) was chosen by Barney Navarro for a stock block straight six Indy car attempt. While not really successful, it developed 640-700 hp (sources vary) with twin turbos. In stock form it's rather pedestrian, but it can produce as much power as a small V-8 (302/304 or less) without too much cost, no more than swapping in said V-8 anyway.

Heads aren't the best in the 232 era, fixed with a 4.0L head. Just measure the pushrods. One fellow mentioned that he used Ford 351 pushrods, but I don't recall if they were Windsor or Cleveland (W length is 8.150", C is 8.408). Used 4.0L heads aren't that much right now, and you get the benefit of the factory header (a must use) as well. The 4.0L intake can be modified for a carb, or an aluminum 1981+ 258 factory or aftermarket intake easily adapted.

Trader mentions an Autolite 2100/Motorcraft 2150 carb.  Good choice for a 2V. A 1.08 venturi (287 cfm) to 1.23 (356 cfm) works well, with the 1.08 being most popular for the six. Weber 32/36 for near stock, or 38/38 for a more performacne oriented motor. A 4V in the 390-500 cfm range works well.

The cam MUST be changed to get good performance. Even a stock 4.0L EFI cam (but used with a carb) is a better cam than the pedestrian stock 232 cam. Again, the Isky 256 Supercam is great, or step up to the 256/262 split duration or 262 Supercam. The 270HL is as large as I'd go for a street performance engine, but a steeper axle ratio is recommended for the top three. Works great with an OD trans for street use if you run long distance, but you don't need as much gear as they recommend. I know one fellow running the 270HL with 3.08 gears and a three speed auto (still need more gear than stock, and he has a looser than stock converter).

So yeah, stock it's not much. But with about $1000-$1500 in improvements (assuming you do the work, and shop around) you have the equivalent of a stock 360/2V V-8 or a hopped up 304. Takes more than that to swap in a V-8, unless you have a donor car that's almost free.
Frank Swygert
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2023 at 7:22am
I had a bone stock '67 Rogue with a 232 2-barrel that took off like a rocket ship.  More than once I was asked to open the hood to prove it was really a six.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2023 at 9:35am
Alert!
Everyone take cover from all the flying BULL.LOL
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2023 at 1:21pm
Some people are just negative.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 5:44pm
My 232 is just running too good and it even gives the waa sound effects when stepping on the gas. That was after the air cleaner was changed. I think I'll retard the timing a tad. Now, which way does the distributor turn? Maybe I'll have to take the cap off. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 6:22pm
Just look at the angle of the vacuum advance.
Turning it clockwise is retard. Advance is counterclockwise towards the block.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2023 at 6:37pm
Yeah thanks. Already done. Looking down the 232's must turn clockwise and I seem to remember the 196 turned the opposite. 
On my 196 at 120k miles the piston top ring grooves had widened and I think it was from running it too close to the edge with a bit too much advance. I guess one has to be careful when not using a timing light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic