TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX Window Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX Window Shoes
    Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 2:52pm
Hello AMC World!
When installing the window shoes to the bottom to the door glass, it states 3/8 of an inch from the end for the rear shoe and even with the glass for the front shoe.  Are the measurements taken from the top rail of the shoe or bottom?  I ask since the rear shoe is not straight up and down, it's angled.  The front shoe is straight but the glass is not.
By the way I got the glass from APD and the glass has pre-drilled holes and I have to drill the corresponding holes on the shoe.
Thanks to all.  Have a great weekend.
V/r Taco
Taco
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 11:18am
I can't really answer your question. I have not got to the point of installing door glass on my project AMX. 

Interesting that your repo glass had holes drilled. The original glass does not. 

I am curious to see if you are able to make the repo glass work. Lots of negative comments about it. Keep us informed of your progress!
Mike
amxpeteo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxpeteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 12:23am
I have a different problem, 70 amx window shoes in wrong position according to all info i have retrieved here. The front shoe starts about 1" back of the front edge. It seems very solid and I don't know if i should heat the shoe with a heat gun to soften the glue. The glue looks like the original stuff but I cant believe it to be so far off. If i try to use the aluminum pieces to tie the shoes together the back shoe hangs the inch over the back side of the glass. I checked to see if the glass was correct and it matches pictures and dimensions I had found years ago while searching a glass warehouse. Is there an easy way to dislodge the glass from the shoe. Also can the vertical stainless trim be removed safely
amxpeteo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxpeteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2023 at 12:27am
The vertical trim on the non moving back triangular windows, Dont want to pop one of these as I see they get harder to come by. Window problems...may be the death of me
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2023 at 11:46am
Will do!
Taco
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2023 at 12:40pm
As if you didn't already know, the 1st gen Javelin/AMX windows are not a great design.  I remember picking up my mom's new Javelin from the dealership in 1969 and noticing that with the windows rolled up, they were popping out of the weatherstrip channels as soon as we got up to freeway speeds!

There are a lot of old threads on glass alignment.  Here's just one example:

The E-Bay modification kit that ties the shoes together is a little controversial.  While not totally necessary imho, as I recall it did make it easier to get the spacing of the shoes correct the one time I used them.

The hardest part for me was getting the tilt correct.  It's hard to measure accurately on curved glass, and if you get it wrong and you'll never be able to adjust it out.  That part is easier to get right with the glass in the car, but it's hard to do without getting glue everywhere.  Also, make sure to use a glue that is not too flexible.  I once tried 3M Window Weld urethane, which was a mistake.  The glass was able to move side-to-side too much and the top of the glass would pop out of the channels, no matter what I did.  That must be what the factory used, lol!   PC7 epoxy is what worked best for me.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/31/2023 at 12:42pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2023 at 1:45pm
Popsicle stick pieces in the bottom of the shoes to maintain correct height.  I use a router to remove all of the old glue before doing anything.  I am the window king.....Had to fix every window in every car I owned.  

Edited by turbo - Mar/31/2023 at 1:47pm
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic