TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC360 Stroker 397 Cubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RobinPDX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinPDX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2023 at 9:45pm
Wondering about the real truth about the lifter valley oil MOD. 
For my street engine I am considering installing one yet will use a 1/8th line , not the larger 3/8 most use. I feel a little dia will suffice yet I want the extra oiling to be supplyingn the #5 main as I feel needs a little extra. 
The reputation precedes its function and benefits as implied causes starvation somewhat on the front end block-cam and TC oiling. 
I Plan to use Upgrade Bulltear filter adapter oil mod piece and hi-vol gears, and drill put the cam~Main passages a little larger dia. And their cam bearing that have an oil groove in them. 
Thoughts on those bearings pieces? ? 
Any thoughts here only plans. 
I am looking at a 71 401 all orig engine,  some person has available locally, std bore with 291 heads. 

Edited by RobinPDX - Oct/26/2023 at 9:48pm
Rob Wiley
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2023 at 10:35pm
Robin PDX - I don't really know diddly but...
The 390 and/or 401 cranks, unsure which or both,
the 7-8 and 5-6 rod journals oil feed passages from adjoining mains oil feed passages,
differ from 290-304-343-360 cranks.
Due to this, the 390-401 cranks "benefit' from the lifter valley oil line,
whereas other cranks do not ?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2023 at 2:28am
PHAT69AMX, you have the facts correct,
RobinPDX, you don't need the line for a street engine. The oiling issue to the back of the block showed up in racing, running over 5500 RPM for long periods of time or drag racing pushing 7000 RPM.
If you follow all the other modifications to ensure oil flow that have been posted and run an extra quart when doing a little spirited driving, the motor will be fine.
A 1/8" line has 10x less volume then the 3/8" line and would be pretty much a waste of effort IMO.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2023 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

PHAT69AMX, you have the facts correct,

No-the reason for the line is simply to bypass the lifters,because the AMC doesn't have a dedicated main feed passage. Not necessary on the street. It is mandatory with lifter bushings.
The line does nothing to correct the way the amc 401 crank is drilled. The 401 crank oils the #6 rod bearing ATDC instead of BTDC like it should be.To correct that you have to run a line to the #4 main cap like I do. Look at my stock car thread(#47 javelin)for that info.
Barry Allen once told me the 390 cranks are drilled correctly. My 390 cranks I have are drilled like the 401 cranks so there's that.
The smaller engine I do not know how they are drilled I've yet to race one. At one time Rick Jones posted a picture with tig wire in the oil holes showing the difference between the way the cranks oil.
As for the 1/8" line that is the size In use to feed the #4 main cap. I would never use that small a line for the valley line.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2023 at 8:39am
This is what the penske guys were doing. They used brake lines ran to each main feed. This special fitting was used to feed oil to the mains through the lifter galley. Similar to the single line but these were used at each main feed instead of one line. And its sealed to the feed hole. So no oil from the lifter galley was feeding the mains. I all went through each line.
https://theamcforum.com/forum/nascar-penske-engine-id-pics-added_topic21228_page3.html

Edited by Hurst390 - Oct/29/2023 at 11:34am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic