TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1904 Rambler single cylinder mechanical question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1904 Rambler single cylinder mechanical question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincef1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1904 Rambler single cylinder mechanical question
    Posted: Feb/07/2023 at 1:27pm
Hi everyone, we have a 1904 Rambler single cylinder in the shop and we are having a hard time find pictures or sketches of the mechanical side of the car. It seems at one point in its lifetime the car was "customized" with welded on pieces and levers missing or disconnected. If anyone has any photos of the body off the car showing all of the levers and the mechanical side would help us out big time. Thanks!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2023 at 3:00pm
One of the few options would be to call these people and see if they will give you the contact information so you can see the complete car and hopefully can take photos of what you need:
Nice Rambler! There is a gentleman here building a 1904 Oldsmobile.
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2023 at 9:15am
1904? That's crazy! 
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2023 at 5:57pm
Back when Chrysler had a museum in there home complex in Michigan they had for a couple years a Museum Magazine . I have most of the early ones. One of the things they did was a total restoration on a 1902/1903 Rambler that was displayed along with an 1909 Hudson in the Museum. I have that magazines some where I'd have to go through my file cabinets and try and find them. But might try contacting Chrysler Historical services. The current leadership of what become of Chrysler may not have any interest, as by now Chrysler been bought out some many times in the late couple decades I'm not even sure they aware of the company heritage.  PM me directly and I'll see what I can find. I have one of largest collections of Nash /AMC/Rambler in the country.  LRDaum
LRDaum
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2023 at 7:28am
The Kenosha History Center (https://www.kenoshahistorycenter.org/index.html) might be able to help. They have an extensive collection of Jeffery/Nash/AMC items. They might have an owners manual or technical repair manual for an antique Rambler.

I have an "Instruction Book" (owners manual) for a mid 1900s, but it has nothing in common with the 1904. It has a four cylinder T head engine shown in the book. Oddly there is no date on the book anywhere, just "Form 502-12-1N12-8M" inside the back page. Cover is missing. This leads me to think it's a 1912 book, but all the info I can find says the 1912 had an L-head engine. It's possible that is a mistake, as the T-head looks like any other flat-head type engine and T-heads weren't common in the mid to late 1900s -- L-heads were built until 65 by AMC, and until a couple years ago by Briggs & Stratton (on most lawn mowers). In other words, very familiar, but not the T-head (one valve on each side of the engine). T-heads lost mainly due to requiring two camshafts -- one each side. L-heads were simply cheaper to make.
Frank Swygert
seeburg4ever View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeburg4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2023 at 4:39am
Is this the Rambler you are working on?

https://youtu.be/Y_Jwqw9khhM

Edited by seeburg4ever - Feb/11/2023 at 4:43am
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2023 at 10:16am
I have NO idea, BUT yours is the coolest post of the month. 

You might contact McPherson College as they have a vast amount of research material. Auto Restoration - McPherson College

Edited by SEdmonds - Feb/11/2023 at 10:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic