TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin Idler Arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Javelin Idler Arm
    Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 3:54pm
Can an Idler Arm from a 1973 Javelin be re-built?

Not having much luck finding a reasonably priced one and was wondering if my old one is able to be re-built and if so who has the parts.

With the prices it would be nice to have a spare on hand,

Thank you
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 4:21pm
There's only a bushing to replace but apparently they might be harder to come by. This thread might be helpful. https://theamcforum.com/forum/loose-idler-arm_topic83662_post1025826.html

Edited by Mopar_guy - Feb/04/2023 at 4:24pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 4:25pm
Mine, the bottom tie rod end bushing was pretty much gone, but the ball end was still in good shape.
Ended up finding one on E-bay, but did a temporary repair in the mean time to drive the car.
Took the grease nipple out, cleaned everything out with solvent and then brake cleaner. Used a dental pick to remove the last bits of the bushing.
Spaced the ball end with one straw at the back and three pieces from the front. Used the highest strength JB weld plastic epoxy and injected the joint fully with epoxy.
Once the epoxy set, heated the threaded end of the tie rod with a torch lightly until I could just turn it 1/4 turn then stopped. Kept working the threaded end until it would rotate.
Inserted the grease nipple, greased and re-installed.
The E-bay one arrived several weeks later and is my spare. The epoxy repaired one is still in the car and holding up just fine. No appreciable looseness in the tie rod end and will likely last a few years at this rate. 
73Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 5:13pm
Mine is the end opposite the bushing.

Guess I will have to break down and get one of the over priced ones.

Thank you both for the replies.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 6:41pm
I got the Centric #620-56004 off of EBay a couple months ago for less than $60. They were still listed there the last time I looked.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

73Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 6:40am
Thank you I'll check that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic