TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marlin rear axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 2:07pm
The "two different ring gear heights" are on the carrier. I don't recall the division, but I think 2.87 and lower (larger number) have a different offset on the carrier than anything higher (a smaller number). 2.87 might be the lowest of the higher gears, and anything lower has a different carrier? I don't really change gear ratios in axles...

The reason for the different heights is the diameter of the pinion gear. Higher gears (smaller numbers) have larger pinion gears (more teeth -- 2.86 on an AMC 15 has 15 pinion teeth, 43 ring), lower gears smaller pinions (3.78 on AMC 15 has 9 pinion 34 ring).  Why are the examples for a 15 when we're talking about a 20? I just happen to have a 61 American TSM on my desk right now...

I wasn't aware of the bolt size difference. I concur -- if you need to use the smaller bolts on a carrier drilled and tapped for larger ones just rotate the gear a bit and drill and tap new holes (probably a machine shop job). You can actually buy shoulder bolts to put a large hole ring gear on a small hole carrier. That's how Dana 44 gears are used in a Jag IRS differential. They are close enough that a special sized bearing kit and shoulder bolts to put the 7/16" holed Dana 44 gear on the 3/8" bolt Jag carrier are made to use Dana 44 gears in a Jag diff.

Edited by farna - Feb/05/2023 at 2:11pm
Frank Swygert
DW_65Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW_65Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2023 at 10:26am
You all are a great wealth of information and experience!  
Thank you!

Feeling really confident about the ability to add limited slip to my Marlin!

Darron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic