TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Master cylinder mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Master cylinder mounting
    Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 12:31pm
Hey folks, I'm replacing the master cylinder on my Javelin..

Backstory : The car had a drum drum master cylinder installed on it while the car was disc drum.. So I ordered the correct master cylinder and while mounting it I noticed it The brake booster push rod seems to press on the master cylinder when I pushed It flush to the booster.. I have been having issues with my front brakes overheating and locking up and I Traced the issue to the wrong master cylinder(when I disconnected the master cylinder the brakes would let go, The pushrod was always pushing on it) I gapped the rod at 1.2in like the TSM says but it still seems to compress while mounting.. should I back the rod in a little more to where it doesn't compress? Or just trust the numbers.

Edited by Velociresler - Jan/29/2023 at 12:36pm
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 1:26pm
  You need to measure the best you can the depth of the MC between the mounting surface and the pushrod seat.  This should match the distance that the pushrod sticks out, plus a little (.010 to .020) clearance.
  I don't think that you can trust that the MC is built precisely like the factory ones.  The pushrod should not compress the piston when securing the MC.
  If you don't trust your measurements, you could just turn the pushrod into the booster so you know there is clearance.  Then put a smear of grease on the end of the pushrod.  Install the MC, remove it, and see if the grease is disturbed.  If not, turn out the pushrod a bit and try again.  When the grease is displaced, turn the pushrod in just a hair and you should be all set.
  I hope this helps...

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 1:54pm
or you could get the tool that will measure it accurately.   its a cheap tool.
Velociresler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

or you could get the tool that will measure it accurately.   its a cheap tool.

I mean yeah I have J-7723 set to the correct length. Still pushes on the MC
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 2:11pm
that tells me the spacers between the booster and its bracket are either missing or wrong.

jav jav on here knows all about them and sells the correct ones.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 10:42pm
Why not measure that gap between your master cylinder and booster from your video, add .010", and shorten your pushrod by that much?
Bill O.
70 AMX
Velociresler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociresler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 9:02am
Yep that's what I ended up doing. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Velociresler Velociresler wrote:

Yep that's what I ended up doing. 

Did it work?
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic