TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 AMX Intercooler Location?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 8:21pm
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 9:09pm
If you actually want to accomplish anything to make it worth the effort this will take, you are going to need a BIG intercooler.  The one in Traders first link is tiny- by appearance, it's sized for a 2 liter engine with relatively low boost.  Yeah, sure, I know, you could also use it on an 8 liter engine at 20 PSI, but no one that knew what they were doing would bother going that route.  

To get worthwhile returns you are going to need to remove the hood latch support and put a big (~24" wide) intercooler in front of the radiator.  
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 9:11pm
I may be able to redesign the hood latch/grille support. Think I've got one or two Rebel pieces I could modify. I'd locate the latch in the same place but the brace that goes down to the lower support can be relocated directly under the upper radiator support. The grille support piece could be run straight across with a gusset from the top instead of the bottom.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 9:29pm
My suggestion would be to go to a shop that specializes in custom turbos.  Most are excellent fabricators and do some really nice work.
I stopped by my nephew's shop  https://boostedinnovations.com/ to ask a few questions on this.  I know a shop in MS is no help you in IL.  He showed me a unit that measures 3.5" deep x 8" tall x 24" long that's good to 600hp.  It would require fabrication of the end chambers but that gives you the chance to put the inlet and outlet where you want/need.
I tested this on my AMX with a 3.5 x 8.5 cardboard box and it seems to fit between the bracket and the radiator.  This is assuming the 69 and 70 are not much different and you don't have A/C to deal with.
Bill O.
70 AMX
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 8:30pm
Here is a factory 2 liter engine's intercooler.  And it's still too small for the stock 286 HP that the engine produces.  Just looking at it, the core is ~18" X 12" X 3" and it has ~2.5" diameter lines.  Intercooler size can never be as big as it needs to be from the factory as it's always dictated by packaging rules.

Edited by Steve_P - Jan/31/2023 at 8:32pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 9:51pm
My original post was for ideas to fit the space without much butchering of the car.
On further reading and the measurements that others have posted, an air to air intercooler is very unlikely to work as there is not enough room for air flow up front for this size of engine. If you completely fill the space for an intercooler, your likely going to have to make modifications for cooling the engine. Not working with a supercharger or turbocharger before, didn't know that they heat the air up to 260 degrees F.

The only option for the car that seems like it would work is an air to water intercooler. More money, 13x more efficient, smaller, and much more flexibility in locating the cooling radiator. The cooling radiator can be mounted under, behind the rear seat, in the trunk or even the front wheel well and ducted for air flow. A simple search will provide many different options on these.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic