TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine bay tape?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine bay tape?
    Posted: Jan/19/2023 at 4:31pm
 A few years ago I was out getting parts from a salvage yard 70 Javelin 6 cylinder car, with the battery being on the left side the right inner fender has nothing there three of the holes had a thick gaffers type of tape that appeared to be factory and painted with the body color. Anyone know if this was done on left side 70 V8 cars? 

J

blue68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2023 at 9:16pm
I know it was done on my 72 V8 Gremlin, probably to prevent undercoating from getting into the engine compartment.
Al

70 AMX 72 V8 Gremlin X
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2023 at 7:02pm
 I checked with a 70 AMX owner that has a mostly untouched car he said the same thing about being taped off to prevent undercoating spray through. That owner sent a couple of pictures also said the tape has fallen off recently.

J

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2023 at 9:17pm
It's something similar to duct tape, and was on all of them. I agree, to keep the undercoat/sound deadener spray out of the engine compartment. They should have body paint on them. How thoughtful is that?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2023 at 9:39pm
In 1970, and maybe later, at least sometimes this tape was applied after paint; this may have been on only west line cars, or whatever.  Real specific, I know LOL.  Years ago I discussed this with Brooke Pitt and don't remember the details other than that brilliant first sentence.

Yes, it was to keep undercoating out of the engine bay.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 7:10am
 I painted some gaffers tape last night and put them on, I did learn to apply the painted tape within a few minutes of paint drying or the paint can crack.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jan/21/2023 at 7:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic