TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine replacement thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 7:23pm
Good job on sticking with it and getting that thing going.
I'd still like to hear what happens when you take that oil filter off, if the oil comes out of the outside holes or not.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Good job on sticking with it and getting that thing going.
I'd still like to hear what happens when you take that oil filter off, if the oil comes out of the outside holes or not.
I will check on the first oil change. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 9:07pm
Vinny this is for you, faulty Wix anti drainback, near the end you can see the oil come out of one of the holes that should be blocked by the anti drain back. 

1963 Rambler Classic 550
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 10:43pm
Thanks for taking the time to make that video. 

Rattle, rattle, rattle on start up. For my Rambler, anything but Wix. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 5:48am
I just saw a YouTube test on filters -- a Mobil 1, Fram Ultra Select, K&N Select, and a Wal-Mart Premium SuperTech. The "drainback valve" is nothing but a silicone "flapper" that oil under pressure pushes up. As the filter gets dirty gunk can get under it, preventing it from totally sealing. It's a real good test by engineers and shows construction (cut apart) and performance of all the filters. They have a pump with a reservoir, floe meter, and pressure gauge to test each. For one test they dump a specific amount of aluminum powder in and measure how much powder it took to reduce the flow a specific amount.

Spoiler: Fram got a bad rep about 20 years ago due to some faulty Mexican made filters (standard filters). Their Ultra Premium tied with the K&N for second place, the Mobil 1 got first, and the SuperTech came in last by a long shot! Of course it was the cheapest also, but still worked well. If you don't let the oil get real dirty or have something bad going on in the engine it would be fine... probably about the same as any name brand standard filter. They all took a good bit of AL powder to reduce flow, never clogged up.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 8:53am
Unfortunately the Wix filter 51258 is defective right out of the box. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 9:00am
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Unfortunately the Wix filter 51258 is defective right out of the box. 

After testing that, even though I had a brand new one that came with the car I bought that Baldwin filter. So I’m assuming it should be better.
1963 Rambler Classic 550
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic