TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jetting 4bbl on 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2023 at 10:09am
Note sure if you have this chart or not. The link goes to the page for the kit and the chart is one of the image options.  http://jgronoj.weebly.com/store/p6/Edelbrock_1479_Performer_Series_Calibration_Kit_for_%231405_Carburetor_%2AFREE_SHIPPING%2A.html

'63 American Hardtop
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2023 at 11:11am
Ive been going off the edelbrock tunning online on there website. Mines the 1404 calibration which has the smaller jet sizes compared to the 1405 which is more for performance as in bigger jets and rods.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 10:38pm
ok finally got an update as well as another problem since i was able to drive it for a good distance. I did install the leaner primary jets to 386s and i had a lean hesitation problem again so went back to 389s and went with 65/52 rods increased secondarys to 395. Idle is still rich even tho i turned the idle screws to the point of cutting out and took it for a nice long drive. My part throttle was good but when i floored it it was sluggish and it leaned out from 11.5 to 17 afr. then go down to 10.5 when i let off. cruising was another thing it went from bouncing from 12-14 driving at first to leaning out at 18 afr and stayed there which Got me baffled and worried, checked the spark plugs and it was barely white. So i went richer on the metering rods 63/47 changed the secondarys 2 stages richer to 101. Fired her up, idle was still rich bouncing 10.5 to 11.5 afr. took it for another long test drive. Saw big improvements in power and throttle response as well as flooring it the afr didnt go lean but went down to 12.0 to 12.5 which is great for full throttle. let off the gas and i figure it would go lean but went richer to 10.5 afr?? Cruising speed was another thing, had the same problem before it would cruise rich at first then go very lean at 18 to 19 which is weird so im at a lost on that . I drove it back home and parked it in fear of messing up the engine especially running it that lean. Im confused by whats going on with this now. Never had a problem with these issues before on other cars. Any thoughts?? also i did check fuel pressure and its 4.5 psi and running an electric pump.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 6:45am
IMO you are close and you need to change metering rod springs to get less fuel at idle. You must be pulling good vacuum and the spring change will reduce fuel flow at idle. Your cruise AFM is close so the rod and jet are likely very close. 
Once the spring change and idle circuit is worked out, then work on the secondary's.
Working both at the same time is a lot more challenging.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 10:28am
Ok then! Ill fiddle with it some more and hopefully pin it down then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic