TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My SC/Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2024 at 10:01am
There's a bunch of "perfectly restored" ones out there. So this is something different to look at for sure. and let people dream about "what it could be."

Restore it, and you'll just blend in with the rest.
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2024 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

There's a bunch of "perfectly restored" ones out there. So this is something different to look at for sure. and let people dream about "what it could be."

Restore it, and you'll just blend in with the rest.

Thanks I appreciate it. 
Here’s a pic of the carbs sitting on the UR18. It was cold out and I didn’t really feel like spending time out there. The carbs date code to October 19 and October 31 of 1973. I’m pretty sure they were originally Direct Connection Pro Stock Hemi carbs. The guy I got them from just rebuilt them and they look good, but I’ll probably pop the bowls off and check to make sure everything inside is kosher. 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2024 at 3:30pm
I love the Hemmings photo taken with you and your dad a couple pages ago!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2024 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I love the Hemmings photo taken with you and your dad a couple pages ago!

Thanks! I had a posters done for both he and I. That photo was a pain because the exposure was 30+ seconds we each had to stand there and not move. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2024 at 10:34am
Small update on the carbs. Ended up ordering rebuild kits from Daytona Carb after pulling them apart and realizing the gaskets the last owner put in were incorrect. Holley on their big spreadsheet doesn’t list a kit for these carbs. It says N/A where the number should be because they’re different than any other Dominator. 

After calling Daytona they ended up needing me to send in photos of the metering block(all are the same) so they could match them up because even their system showed it being a special 1 model only kit. 

Also all 4 brass floats got destroyed during shipping. The best I can come up with is the airplane wasn’t pressurized or something caused a rapid temp change and crushed all 4 floats like beer cans. 

Because everyone likes photos

Hopefully the kits will be here the end of the week. 
LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2024 at 10:36am
Also a friend sent me a picture of the 1973 Mopar parts catalog listing these carbs. List 6214A

LetsFNgo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetsFNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2024 at 11:39am
Carb rebuild time. 

Disassembled and cleaned at work. They were both in pretty good shape. All the threads looked good with the exception of the accelerator pump squirter threads. They weren’t pretty but tightened up ok so they’ll ride for now. They weren’t rebuilt very well but I’m not surprised. Looking at the big Holley spreadsheet with part numbers there’s no listing for a rebuild kit for these.

After calling Daytona Carb parts I confirmed with them that a normal Dominator kit is not correct for these carbs as the metering blocks are different than any other kit. It took Daytona a couple hours to do their research and get back to me but after sending some pictures back and forth they were able to put 2 kits together. I also needed 4 floats because all of the original brass floats got crushed. I believe that happened due to either temperature or pressure during shipping. 

Incorrect blue gasket I removed vs the one Daytona carb sent. 

You can see in this photo how the floats got crushed. Some were worse than others. 

Disassembled bowls getting ready to reassemble. 30cc accelerator pumps visible. 

Bowls and metering blocks assembled. There isn’t much to do with the main body of a 4500. Basically just replace the gaskets and check valve for the accelerator pump squirter. Not surprisingly the gaskets were either missing or doubled up on a lot of the parts. 

Just about ready to go back together. 

2 rebuilt Holley 6214 4500 carbs. Date codes are October 19 1973 and October 31(Halloween) 1973. Looking forward to making some noise with these once the weather breaks in March. 

My only concern with this whole plan is if I have to plane the UR18 to fit the heads since the deck was trimmed to 0 deck the pistons. I’d hate to have to cut this then need to double up intake gaskets to go onto another engine. But such is life. Worse case scenario i might pull the heads and have those decked instead of the intake. 

Thanks for reading everyone. Will update once the Hemmings article is published and I’m getting the car ready for this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic