TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leaf Spring Liner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaf Spring Liner
    Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 10:31pm
Hey all,
I'm cleaning up the leaf spring pack on my 69 Jav and want to replace all the parts there. The pin bolts and end pads are readily available but I can't seem to find the liner, you know, the stuff that is between each spring at the pin bolt and has a lip on each side. Mine might be able to be salvaged, but if I can find a replacement I'd rather do that. The springs are 2.5" wide and all I can find is up to 2.25". Has anyone got a lead on where to get it? I called the local spring shop and they said they never put them back on, they just throw them away and google has been no help. The usual AMC vendors don't have it listed either.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 10:46pm
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-Spring-Liner-with-Lip-2-Inch,39861.html

Sorry this is 2"
They also have 2.25 and then this

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flat-Spring-Liners,7471.html

Edited by JD - Dec/06/2022 at 10:52pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 6:08am
Grand Wagoneer pads are 2-1/2", should phone them to ensure:
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 7:04am
I bought new springs from Eaton/Detroit and they had the liner pads just like my factory springs.  I'm guessing they would sell you replacements.

Another question:  Are your springs in good shape?  I would worry that they are sagging or uneven.  I'm just thinking about the time to disassemble, blast, paint, and reassemble 50 year old springs.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 7:47am
JD - yeah that's kinda what I keep running in to as well. Nothing in the right width but close. Frustrating as crud.

Trader - I'll certainly do some digging in the Jeep forums too, but those parts aren't the same as what mine have. Mine are almost the full length of the spring and then there's the end pads which, for some reason, are readily available.

Mike - I will try and get a hold of eaton and ask them. The springs are in really good shape, seemingly that is. I may replace them at some point, but for now I will have to make due with refurbishing these ines.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 8:53am
Mopar springs are 2 1/2" wide.  If you have the old AMC ones, maybe this eBay vendor could make you a set of AMC interleaves.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 12:27pm
6pak - ya know, that's a good idea. My originals are a rubber/plastic material but if I strike out finding them, maybe these zinc ones would be a solution. Thanks for the info.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2022 at 1:27pm
We have a winner. Spent some time on Eaton's website to no avail. Finally I just sent them and email asking about it and they replied that ithey have it and it's $2.50/lf plus shipping. Easy as pie, I dig it. Good suggestion Mike, thank you.

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic