TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Smoking after reassembly, 1963 Rambler classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

If you're looking for another engine and plan on keeping and driving this car much, I'd pursue the pre 72 (71 models will work) 199/232. There were 258s made in 71, but not that many -- they are hard to come by being one year only. There are a few issues, but they can be dealt with.

The 196 is a great engine -- if kept maintained. The problem is so many haven't done that -- mostly just from ignorance. So finding a good one is tough. You're right about rebuilding cost -- $1500-$2000 depending on where you are (local machining costs) and how carefully you shop around. At least you have a known good head, which is the most likely thing to be bad on a used engine.
  with all the things going on 1500 to 2000 is low. Think 3000 to 3500.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2023 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

If you're looking for another engine and plan on keeping and driving this car much, I'd pursue the pre 72 (71 models will work) 199/232. There were 258s made in 71, but not that many -- they are hard to come by being one year only. There are a few issues, but they can be dealt with.

The 196 is a great engine -- if kept maintained. The problem is so many haven't done that -- mostly just from ignorance. So finding a good one is tough. You're right about rebuilding cost -- $1500-$2000 depending on where you are (local machining costs) and how carefully you shop around. At least you have a known good head, which is the most likely thing to be bad on a used engine.
  with all the things going on 1500 to 2000 is low. Think 3000 to 3500.

Yeah, that’s what I’m concerned about as much as I love this thing I don’t want to spend 3500 bucks to get it running again.
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2023 at 6:57am
There isn't a lot of modification to put a 199/232 in a 63 Classic, luckily. Don't even have to move the radiator. I think I did move mine forward slightly, but all I really did was slide it down in front of the radiator supports instead of behind them, giving maybe 1/2" more space. I put a 4.0L in mine with short sections of 2"x4" rectangular tubing between the 196 crossmember and later model 258 engine plates and mounts. That's easy to do, but a 232 crossmember shouldn't be too hard to locate for a 64-66 Classic. 64 Ambo and 65-66 Marlin works also, but not 65-66 Ambo -- those were stretched and engine mount perches are different. But you can "roll your own" easy enough. The 196 radiator works fine. I needed a little extra room for running an electric fan.
Frank Swygert
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 4:06pm

There isn't a lot of modification to put a 199/232 in a 63 Classic, luckily. Don't even have to move the radiator. I think I did move mine forward slightly, but all I really did was slide it down in front of the radiator supports instead of behind them, giving maybe 1/2" more space. I put a 4.0L in mine with short sections of 2"x4" rectangular tubing between the 196 crossmember and later model 258 engine plates and mounts. That's easy to do, but a 232 crossmember shouldn't be too hard to locate for a 64-66 Classic. 64 Ambo and 65-66 Marlin works also, but not 65-66 Ambo -- those were stretched and engine mount perches are different. But you can "roll your own" easy enough. The 196 radiator works fine. I needed a little extra room for running an electric fan.

At this point I'm beginning my search, I don't know that I want to deal with getting the block machined and building a bottom end.  I can do it but I'd rather just get a complete engine that runs and throw it in there. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 5:07pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by mtrosclair mtrosclair wrote:

At this point I'm beginning my search, I don't know that I want to deal with getting the block machined and building a bottom end.  I can do it but I'd rather just get a complete engine that runs and throw it in there. 
  you might be able to find a 199/232 with low miles from a Rambler owner who is swapping to a V8. (Im talking 66 to 69 Americans)  alot of these engines get sold for scrap. 
I know a guy who has a 58 American. And he swapped in a 59 OHV 196. He had to do changes, and the 59 engine smokes. But it still runs.
I think it will be difficult to find a running 196.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic