TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gas tank sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by amcfitz amcfitz wrote:

Well we have a good ground otherwise it would not work outside of the tank. I just checked with a Ohm meter the original unit and it is working as it should. We have tested the float and it does float. We are stumped and it sounds like you are all stumped also. The original sender in the old tank worked fine. I think I am going to back with that and see what happens.

I wouldn't say we're stumped, it's just that the answer is not straightforward. You say the sensor works when you have it in your hand.  I take that to mean when the float rod is on the lower stop the gauge reads empty and when its on the upper stop the tank reads full.  That tells me the electrical part is working fine.  You then say the float, floats.  That tells me the mechanical part is working fine.  If it does not read correctly in the tank, the float position for the tank level is incorrect.  It's a calibration issue.  Simple as that.
You have 3 choices.....1-Use it like it is and accept the inaccuracy.  2-Someone on this forum did a great writeup on how to adjust the dam things for improved accuracy but it was a lot of work if I recall.  3-Try and find a NOS unit for your vehicle.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic