TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

sloppy shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sloppy shifter
    Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 1:11am
Hi all,

73 Matador 727

I've been having a few challenges with being in the right gear - and it seems much of the issue (after trial and error) is related to play in the column shift and or linkage, so that for example when it's in 'N' it's really in 'D' and there is a lot of slop. We've got it going better but it's not great (at least it starts in P now). It's clearly been an issue as someone before my time had done some stuff to the linkage.

If I jiggle around the shifter it's ok, but I have to get it through out of Prov inspection and I don't know how strict they will be.

Any experiences or thoughts regarding this issue?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 8:45am
If it goes into Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive with no issues it will pass. 
If on testing they put it in Neutral and it's in Drive or Reverse as an example, it will fail.
These are GM Saginaw columns and the internals should interchange with most any Saginaw column of that era. GM parts are relatively easy to find and PO, fixing what you have would be the best option. 

Edited by Trader - Nov/30/2022 at 9:11am
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 9:12pm
Hi,

Thanks

Based on what I said, would my issue more likely be in the steering column (ie spring) or the linkage underneath?
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2022 at 10:55pm
Did you find anything out about whether it was the column or linkage? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic