TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 oil light comes on briefly, rarely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 7:39pm
Those are good ideas.

The stock oil sensor wire is in good condition. It was checked during the MPFI head rewire a while ago, and is routed securely.

I run 6 qts, oil level is good, all stock dipstick components untouched and in good order. I'm really lucky on this car, it is in excellent condition. About 2K since last oil/filter, but I just got some VR1 on sale at Walmart.com so I'll do a change and replace the sensor too.

Ha, yes the oil light is an unwelcome sight, middle lane on a 3-lane highway, literally no place to go in any direction stopped at a major intersection.

30 years ago or so, I had an oil light on a Buick, which ended up a rebuild anyway, but I actually drove it home 5 miles with the light on and I'm still not sure to this day if it was for real low. Such a great motor, I rebuilt it for fun.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 8:46pm
When you mentioned Buick, it jogged the memory of my old-timer neighbor when I was about 14, and learning how to change oil. He changed his at home, in his '67 LeSabre. And after removing the drain plug and letting all the oil run out, he would start the engine and run it for about a minute "to get all the old oil out!"  Yikes! Fortunately, I learned early on not do try that!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2022 at 8:58pm
OK, now that's funny! I still surf eBay for that vintage Buicks.

Mine was a 68 LeSabre, and the first time (at 17) I changed the oil, I removed the drain plug and nothing came out! That was concerning, so I had to remove the oil pan, which was blocked by the crank position and crossmember.

Once the pan came down, I found about 3 inches of paraffin sludge in the pan. Enough so the crank weights had their own grooves in the sludge.

After a few minutes with a putty knife and a whole can of B-12, put the pan back on, poured in some more Quaker State, and she carried me another 30K miles without a hitch. Well, until the right wheel  fell off on the highway while a friend was driving it.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic