TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gas Tank removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bossman63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank removal
    Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 1:26pm
Hey everyone as new to the AMC family and here's my questions for my 1970 Javelin

1-do they make a repo gas tank with a drain plug
2-It appears that my 1970 Javelin has a cover/shield in the trunk area where the neck filler is?
3- can you remove the gas tank without the cover ? I've read where its welded/attached to the gas tank?
4- Is there any more item that need to be removed than removing sending unit, rubber fuel line that attaches to fuel line, undo the 2 bolts-J bolts that hold the tank in place?

any help would be appreciatedConfusedErmmPinch🤔
Mike
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 5:25pm
1- No drain plug for Javelin or AMXs. Only on 64/65 Rambler American , do they have a drain plug. No other AMC has one I'm aware of.
2- Part the trunk as bump for the filler tube clearance.
3- Yes, It has no bearing on removing the gas tank. It is just bump out filler tube clearance.
4- Yes, a short rubber fuel line to the gas line. Also a yellow ground wire to the sending unit.
FYI - Also if you want to make the job easier on your self go to Harbor Freight and get a bolt threw the socket wrench tool setup so the J-bolts can be more easier taken off. Other wise your laying there for an  hour working on the j-bolts with a wrench to get the J-bolts loose one quarter turn at a time. LRDaum
LRDaum
Bossman63 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bossman63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 6:21pm
LRDaum thank you very much for info
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 9:56am
My '57 Rambler had a drain plug on the gas tank.

More modern AMCs apparently did not.

If you have a friend who is a welder, and you're installing a NEW replacement tank, I suppose you could weld or braze in a drain plug if it's important to you.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2022 at 9:32pm
PS You may most likely have a short rubber hose on the filler neck to a port in the hump of the trunk. It's a vent line for the gas tank. Depending on how you tank is vented. There vented and non vented depending on the year  and usage . LRDaum

LRDaum
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2022 at 10:41am
"4- Yes, a short rubber fuel line to the gas line. Also a yellow ground wire to the sending unit."  I believe the yellow wire goes to the dash gauge.  There is a black ground wire that is screwed to the frame above the sending unit/tank.  Both should be removed.  Syphon out as much gas as possible as the tank gets squirrely as the gas sloshes around.  It gets heavy too.
Mike
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2022 at 10:53am
When I was refurbishing the tank on my Spirit, I added a Buyers FS012 weld fitting to the bottom of the tank, so now it has a 1/8" NPT drain plug.  So long as you take account of any coating/plating and properly inert the tank for safety during welding and then you treat the bare areas appropriately afterwards, it's fairly easy to add a drain.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2022 at 11:21am
 I bought a new gas tank for my 70 from APD and not knowing how well the inside would hold up to Ethanol blended fuel I decided to get the inside coated. I had a local radiator shop swap over the filler tube, add on a flush mount drain and Red-Kote the inside, this radiator shop guarantees the Red-Kote for as long as I own it, the tank turned out nice money well spent.

J
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2022 at 8:59am
Great minds apparently think alike! My tank in my 70 javelin has also had the red-kote and drain added. Has been doing fine for 14 years now. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic