TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum or Iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

I see no one has mentioned that with Alum. heads you can run a little more compression safely...
Thought Holley and Eldy. were sister companies?

No they are not. Holley is a parent company to close to thirty companies, Edelbrock is owned by another entity all together along with comp cams, I believe.
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You could run a little more compression with aluminum heads, but 11.25:1 would dictate a different fuel also. You would not likely be wanting the KB pistons either.
If the OP didn't have the short block already done, Edelbrock heads and new forged pistons for 10.5:1 would likely be the way to go.
PO, the more after market support the better. But you have to look at the whole build to determine what your going to use. When you start with a part build, there are usually restrictions on directions you can go.

Yeah ideally it would be a ground up build but there’s some change of my fathers sunk into this block build for drag racing, not trying to rebuild the done short block. Running Indy or 502 heads will give me about a 10.5 compression ratio. 
Like I said before, have a few 502’s and lots of time on my hands, if I could get them to flow well enough and hit my power goals, I’m happy running them and wouldn’t mind learning something new on the way.
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

If I am not mistaken, the Edelbrock are 54 cc and the Indy are 60cc.  Iron can be anywhere from 51 to 62 so figure out what pistons you have and make sure you have the right heads for your compression goals.  I ran the next bigger Crower cam with 10.75 to one and it worked well on the street, so your 10.5 to one goal sounds about right.

The engine was originally suppose to use a crower level five, the KB hypereutectic pistons, Indy heads, and a Indy single plane something on par with 11.5 compression. Trying to dial it down for street/autox use knowing the short block is complete. The indy and 502 heads will dial down to 10.3 to 10.5. Crower wants 10.25 for my cam. Now I’m just working at whether ported 502 will get me where I want to be, 450-500 horse. Figured a SC/Rambler could pull 12’s on sixty year old slick technology, my highly modified Rambler with new tire technology should be pretty quick. Also if I port my own heads that’s going to free up some change to do some pretty cool stuff with an intake system. Curious, what heads are you running?
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 4:31am
Cam compression recomendation is usualy a minimum.
11.5 sounds good. 
Gremlin Dreams
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 8:47am
FWIW, I have just made the switch from home ported 993 iron heads to home ported Eddy heads and picked up roughly three tenths and 3 mph over the 1/4 mile in a mid 11 second car. There was scope to do a bit more on the iron heads and I didn't so much more on the eddy's than gasket match and smooth out the runners.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
TAD699 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAD699 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 10:35am
Picking up 3/10 is a huge improvement. The reduction in weight could have helped a 1/2 tenth also. Great to see actual results from testing at the racetrack.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2022 at 5:09pm
In my experiance as a street warrior 
and ocassional drag racer weight loss
over the front wheels is going to give you
a gain in your ET out of proportion to
the same weight saved in the back of the car.

Unless you have  perfect traction that is.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic