TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Kick Down?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auto4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kick Down?
    Posted: Nov/24/2022 at 4:28pm
Hello Together

My name is Daniel and I am from Switzerland.

I am interested in an AMC Gremlin 6 cylinder (3.8L, automatic, 1970). Well, it is not a miracle of acceleration, but still interesting.

Now my question: Does this Gremlin have a kickdown?

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2022 at 4:59pm
Yes. If it is 'stock', it came with a 3-speed Borg Warner aluminum case automatic...probably an M37?

That transmission has an electrical kickdown solenoid in the valve body, and a switch under the dash, operated by the top bracket on the accelerator pedal. The switch is plastic, a couple inches long-brownish in color-with a black plunger and a two wire plug attached to it.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
auto4ever View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auto4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2022 at 5:11pm
That transmission has an electrical kickdown solenoid in the valve body, and a switch under the dash, operated by the top bracket on the accelerator pedal. The switch is plastic, a couple inches long-brownish in color-with a black plunger and a two wire plug attached to it.

Can you explain this to me in more detail? Where should the switch be? Normally, the kickdown goes into action when you press the pedal.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2022 at 6:33pm

Scroll down and look at the picture on the right half.
It shows the accelerator mechanism and the switch.
The electrical connection goes into a little screw in terminal in the side of the transmission.
Get yourself a '70 (or 71 would be ok) AMC Technical Service Manual. It will be the best investment you could make on this car.

You have to basically push the accelerator to the floor to activate the switch, if everything is working properly and adjusted properly.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic