TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Original 1970 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2023 at 8:21pm
Do you have pics of your car?
All Original 1970 AMX
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2023 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by desotodave desotodave wrote:

Do you have pics of your car?
Sorry, I do not. The car is out of state getting put back in one piece (hopefully) after paint and mechanical restoration.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2023 at 12:29pm
Dave,
  Been following your progress, great work. As some have said, they are only original once, even with a 'back in the day' body repair. With the machine wheels, your AMX looks like a real time capsule. Hope you can continue to enjoy working on it and driving when you can. Remember, these cars required more maintenance than modern cars do, especially after sitting for so many years. You might try finding a body/paint shop that would re-spray your black shadow mask with a flat clear coat. That way you could keep the original paint and have a modern, UV resistant flat finish to protect it and it would look more correct. Not original, I know, but just my .02 cents. These 2 seaters are always about a compromise, but as you already know, there aren't a whole lot of them left, especially with the originality yours shows. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
desotodave View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desotodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

Dave,
  Been following your progress, great work. As some have said, they are only original once, even with a 'back in the day' body repair. With the machine wheels, your AMX looks like a real time capsule. Hope you can continue to enjoy working on it and driving when you can. Remember, these cars required more maintenance than modern cars do, especially after sitting for so many years. You might try finding a body/paint shop that would re-spray your black shadow mask with a flat clear coat. That way you could keep the original paint and have a modern, UV resistant flat finish to protect it and it would look more correct. Not original, I know, but just my .02 cents. These 2 seaters are always about a compromise, but as you already know, there aren't a whole lot of them left, especially with the originality yours shows. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
Thanks for the input.
All Original 1970 AMX
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2023 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by TX390AMX TX390AMX wrote:

Dave,

What he said. A flat clear-coat would be the ticket. 

Your car is a twin to one I lusted after on the showroom floor when I was 15.  At that age I would have been just as likely to build a rocket ship and fly to Mars as to own that car, but it's great to see one in original condition all these years later.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Johnvelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnvelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2023 at 1:29am
Your cars paint looked good after you polished it, I would keep the paint original.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic