TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 clutch pedal rod to zbar hole location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amchornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 clutch pedal rod to zbar hole location
    Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 4:00pm
i am converting my hydraulic clutch to a manual clutch, for my recent auto to manual tranny conversion.  Where do I drill the hole in the firewall for the clutch rod to pass through and how big should the hole be?

This is in a 1973 hornet. 

Thanks for any help in advance Smile

Dudley
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2022 at 10:36am
Isn't there a "punch out" pressed into the sheet metal for it?

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
73amchornet View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amchornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2022 at 11:28am
I did not see one, but it was getting dark.  I will check   
just from eyeballing it, it looks like it should be about 1 1/2 to the left and about 4-5" down from bottom of steering wheel shaft

javelinjason View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2022 at 10:59am
There should most definitely be a punch out for the pedal rod to go through the firewall. I just did my punch out this past weekend on my 73 Javelin. Look on the firewall for a 1-1/4" knock out with screw holes above and below it, maybe on a slight angle. That's where the pedal boot screws to the firewall. Much easier to do from the engine side if there is no brake master cylinder or booster in the way. It punches from the inside out though. I have my whole dash out because I was adding the pedals at the same time. 
-1972 Javelin SST
-1973 Javelin
-1973 Javelin AMX PC
73amchornet View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amchornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2022 at 10:34am
Finally had a chance to check.  It's there exactly where you said.  I didn't see it but my son did.  
Hopefully get a chance to work on it this weekend

Dudley
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2022 at 8:18am
Hydraulic?   
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2022 at 9:08pm
I've owned a few '60s International pickups with the "juice" clutch. My advice on a hydraulic clutch starts with a question: Do you drive the vehicle more, or does it sit more?

Because if it sits a lot, the "sealed" hydraulic system will somehow manage to lose fluid. 

If you drive it a lot, and do regular maintenance, the fluid disappearance just doesn't seem to happen.

If your car sits more than it's driven, the mechanical linkage is the way to go. 

Your experience may be different than mine.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2022 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

I've owned a few '60s International pickups with the "juice" clutch. My advice on a hydraulic clutch starts with a question: Do you drive the vehicle more, or does it sit more?

Because if it sits a lot, the "sealed" hydraulic system will somehow manage to lose fluid. 

If you drive it a lot, and do regular maintenance, the fluid disappearance just doesn't seem to happen.

If your car sits more than it's driven, the mechanical linkage is the way to go. 

Your experience may be different than mine.
all depends.  But then hydraulics dont like to sit regardless 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic