TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 rod bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 290 rod bolts
    Posted: Oct/04/2022 at 1:00pm
Looking for suggestions on where to get new rod bolts for my 290. I bought ARP replacement and they are way to tight. Builder is afraid he would break rod forcing them in. Bought from Summit 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2022 at 2:45pm
290, 304, 343, and 360 all use the same cast connecting rod. The ARP 114-6001 bolts will only fit the 707 connecting rods, too short for 352 connecting rods.
Unless the engine has been a warmed over 343 or 360 and the connecting rods are badly stretched, reusing connecting rod bolts on an AMC is really not a problem.
ARP rod bolts are a little tighter, never had issues with the connecting rods breaking when pressing them in. I do know people will use an adjustable reamer and open up the bolt holes slightly, but you have to use the old rod bolts to ensure everything is aligned when doing this.

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 1:34pm
I've had this issue with 390s and 401s - ARP bolts had a .002"+ press fit.  The shop installing them used a reamer to get the press fit to about .001 and no issues. 
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 5:58pm
Try looking them up on Pioneer automotive parts.   I can check one of my engine builder suppliers tomorrow.

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2022 at 2:26am
I do not know what you are paying to have your rods reconditioned but you can get a balanced set of new forged rods through Blue Monkey for 400 dollars delivered off ebay or call him.  

They are a decent replacement rod. I have used a couple sets with no issues. They measure to spec and were within one gram of balance on both ends. You can get them press or floating. 

For the price of forged aftermarket, I do not bother with factory rods anymore. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic