TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OHV core plug availability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OHV core plug availability
    Posted: Oct/03/2022 at 5:29pm
Specifically the slightly over 1" plug that goes where the L-head distributor may have been.  My measuring indicates one and an eighth - or 2.7 cm for the hole, but I can't find anything locally to fit.  Now I wish I hadn't pulled it out before the block's bath. If you ever replaced yours, where did you find one?

I've got the engine mostly together and plan to dial-in the bell housing this time.  Although I'm using the factory one, I noticed some clutch chatter in reverse gear after I put a new one in a few years ago.  Hope to get it as close to dead on as I can.

Got the studs, washers & bolts TomJ recommends for the head and once I have the engine & trans in place, I'll re-seat the head.  This is all too much fun.  Sure hope it runs better.  :-)
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2022 at 6:02pm
Look up anybody that sells Pioneer products.  They carry every freeze, galley, cam, plug made.

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2022 at 11:07am
I wound up taking a 1 1/8" plug and using my grinder, took it down about 1/16th.
Tapped in snugly and now painted.  whew!

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2022 at 7:41am
Dorman P15S
Others found on ebay.
I'd change out what you put in because it probably won't last very long.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2022 at 10:36am
I too would be concern that any coating on the plug to prevent rusting has been removed from the contact surface. But if it doesn't contact a water jacket and isn't under pressure but rather being oil coated by the crank case with near zero pressure (you indicate it was for the old flathead distributor location)  you will probably be OK.

If you go looking to a chain auto parts store for AMC parts you will often come up with nothing available. Their business model is to maximize profit by catering to the 5-15 year old car that has the largest volume and the greatest likelihood of needing replacement parts.  An old school, Mom N' Pop auto parts store would be a better bet but frankly (at least for me 50 miles out of Los Angeles in the endless, newer suburbs) they hardly exist. Thus as mentioned the internet/Ebay are your best hope. And, yes the $5 shipping for a $1.25 is rather painful but there are few options.

Edited by wittsend - Oct/11/2022 at 10:39am
'63 American Hardtop
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2022 at 10:49am
Again, contact any machine shop and they'll be able to provide the correct Pioneer plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic