TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Won’t shift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2023 at 7:12am
The cable pushes in as the gas pedal is pushed. It really shouldn't have much play. The 63 American TSM (195.6 OHV) says to adjust the cable until the pin in the clevis is a loose fit, then lengthen the cable two turns. That gets you a "ball park" setting. The later TSMs just give a pressure reading at 1000 rpm with the brakes set and trans at full operating temp. That's rather hard to do. I always set it at the two turns then adjust from there. The cable doesn't control shifting, just internal pressure. It will make shifts harder or softer is all. If the cable is too long you will find the trans kicking down while you're trying to maintain cruising speed going up hills. Typically you can go 3 - 3.5 turns long after that loose pin fit, but that's all. When the cable bottoms out the trans will down-shift unless over a certain speed (about 6, IIRC).

If you're having shifting issues first check the governor. If it's sticking shifting will be affected. After that drop the pan and clean the screen, and of course refill with new ATF. While the pan is off I'd pull the valve body, then disassemble and thoroughly clean it. If that doesn't do the trick you have other issues, like dried/cracked o-rings or worn clutches and bands. The bands can be adjusted, so do that also. You can get a seal kit and replace the seals in the servos easy enough, but much else requires tearing the trans apart.
Frank Swygert
kiddster7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiddster7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2023 at 10:51am
Thanks Frank!  I pulled the pan earlier and everything looked great (just a visual inspection).  I'll check the governor next.  It works in reverse and only D2 (no shifting-whether I put it in D1 or 2), it won't even drive in Low.  I thought maybe I had too much fluid, but that doesn't see to be it. Thanks again.--Scott
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2023 at 4:42pm
Sounds like a sticking shift valve... or more than one. I'd definitely clean the valve body thoroughly, and blow out all the passages with compressed air. If you don't have compressed air get a couple cans of brake/parts cleaner. They usually have enough pressure when you use the tube that comes with it. Just be careful! A dead end or blocked passage will send air or fluid right back out at you!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic