TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Seatbelts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Gary Gray AMX Gary Gray AMX wrote:

I have a set of lap belts OEM - AMC tags on them - Suppose to be black ( I call them charcoal)
 will sell for $200

The '74 belts are a shoulder/lap belt combination-with the inertial reel for the shoulder belt, and not meant to be separated. I think our person needs '74 only belts.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 3:05pm
I know of a 74 AMX the person bought with 5000 miles on it in 1975, so sure they are the original seat belts.
The shoulder belts in his car are in the clips and there is no "internal real".
He was following me to a show a few years back, it was a hot day, windows open and the passenger belt came out of the clip and gashed his face. Imagine at 55 MPH if had hit his eye! Likely crash the car. These things are poor design and dangerous, PO.
When did they install the "internal real" on shoulder belts in 1974?
This was a car sold in Canada so maybe that makes a difference?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 4:20pm
My 74 is late production (June 1974) and has the inertia reels.  Black interior with white seats, black belts.   It's a very original survivor car.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I know of a 74 AMX the person bought with 5000 miles on it in 1975, so sure they are the original seat belts.
The shoulder belts in his car are in the clips and there is no "internal real".
He was following me to a show a few years back, it was a hot day, windows open and the passenger belt came out of the clip and gashed his face. Imagine at 55 MPH if had hit his eye! Likely crash the car. These things are poor design and dangerous, PO.
When did they install the "internal real" on shoulder belts in 1974?
This was a car sold in Canada so maybe that makes a difference?

Canadian car would be the deciding factor, since in the US, all '74's had to have that Ignition/Seatbelt/Interlock feature-and the shoulder belts were an integral part of that.

You mean "Inertial" reel, as the retractor had a simple inertia 'switch' to lock the belt under sudden deceleration.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic