TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission Oil Cooler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Oil Cooler
    Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 6:25am
Just curious what size transmission oil coolers people like to run on their drag cars? In my case 727 and low 11 second zone car. I'm running a smallish 5.5" x 11" B&M stacked plate cooler in front of the radiator and wondering if I should be using something a bit bigger, still running the stock oil pan too.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 6:32am
I’m using 2 of those coolers in series on a full manual 727
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 11:43am
You should in any application run the largest transmission cooler you can. A transmission is not like an engine so the cooler the fluid runs the better it is. I've alway ran a big Hayden cooler in all my automatic cars. I think it's around 10" x 12". Just an FYI: A transmission sitting on the line being footbraked or especially a trans brake equipped car can flash the temperature up to 260 degrees with ease. The seals in a transmission do not like those kind of temperatures. If you want your prized transmission to live a long life you have to give it the largest cooler that you can.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Just an FYI: A transmission sitting on the line being footbraked or especially a trans brake equipped car can flash the temperature up to 260 degrees with ease. The seals in a transmission do not like those kind of temperatures. If you want your prized transmission to live a long life you have to give it the largest cooler that you can.

Tom

Very good advise! He's 100% correct. We do durability stall tests on convertors and the heat they generate is crazy and temps go over 300°F pretty fast.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 5:11pm
I ran on Sunday and noticed it dropped off a little after the first few runs, could be a number of reasons for that, but I'm wondering if the trans is getting a little hot and maybe that is a factor. Around 30 minutes between runs and they get a little closer together as the day went on. Coolant temperature is always pretty steady throughout the day.

I have a deep pan to add, but might be worth upgrading the cooler as well by the sounds of it.

Trans has 366 runs on it now, not sure how log they usually last in an 11-12 second car?
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Trans has 366 runs on it now, not sure how log they usually last in an 11-12 second car?

If you have good circulation and moderate temperatures you could easily see a 1000 runs with what your doing with that 727.

Tom

1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 10:30pm
I run a deep pan in all my automatics. If you have a slippery Converter you are also generating more heat in normal driving
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2022 at 8:55am
1000+ runs sounds good to me, just a service and away we go then with a bigger cooler and deep pan.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2022 at 9:39am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

1000+ runs sounds good to me, just a service and away we go then with a bigger cooler and deep pan.

The cooler is far more important in the equation than the deep pan. The extra quart or two is nice, but cooler fluid is much more important. Also when you get into really low race cars a deep pan is more often than not a problem. Kind of like having headers that hang to low. I've seen guys drag a deep transmission pan on the end of the car trailer.

Tom

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2022 at 6:25am
New cooler:

Did the deep pan as well, had that sitting in the shed for a while:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic