TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flywheel bolts too long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:12am
 We had the same problem at work with china hardware a few years ago from one the big fastener suppliers they gave us samples that worked good then a few months into using that hardware we had product damage from shipping, we tested the hardware and the were crap we ended up changing suppliers. Over the last decade I have been machining a lot of hardware making it into what I need I have noticed the hardware store grade 8 bolts turn down easy like leaded steel. I would cut or grind down the long bolts just don't get them too hot or dip them in coolant do a little at a time.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:34am
You have been given the CORRECT answer several times. Spend the 30 bucks on the new ARP bolts. 

This is a pretty critical part and IMO I wouldn't risk grinding them down and changing the strength of the bolt from the heat.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 10:37am
[QUOTE=amxdreamer]You have been given the CORRECT answer several times. Spend the 30 bucks on the new ARP bolts. 

This is a pretty critical part and IMO I wouldn't risk grinding them down and changing the strength of the bolt from the heat.

X2 on this..
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 11:41am
Just an example of why aircraft / military items cost so much.

If I use a material to produce an item even if it was produced in the USA and doesn't have the
correct quality certifications ,NADCAP or ISO .
I must send it to be over checked to make sure it meets the specs.
Example a 1" diameter bar of 4340 chromoly steel my cost $200.
Test lab to re verify material chemical,  physical & hardenability $1500.00 per heat lot.

This is all due to unscrupulous vendors  falsely certifying test reports. 
73 Jav-AMX " The Black Widow"
358cu/in Crossram
T-10 9" Rear
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Or, you could just buy the ones that work.

Well, that stirred up a hornets nest...

Thanks SC397 for the link. Don't know why but I wasn't finding those. They should work, and $30 is pretty easy to spend to get the right part when I already bought a brand new transmission and had an engine rebuilt. 

The only reason I threw out hardware store is because I wasn't finding what I needed, and I wasn't sure if that might be a possible solution.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 9:43pm
The most-immediate problem Americans have, is choosing by lowest cost first. It's just a terrible habit; it always was, but plenty of sellers from Walmart to fly-by-night eBay vendors, will gladly take advantage of you.

Better is to find parts from trustworthy manufacturers AND trustworthy suppliers (*), then choose by whatever. 

* The SELLER matters as much as the (alleged) manufacturer. I needed to buy a really particular adhesive for EDPM rubber, the stuff in seals and trim. Amazon had it of course -- but the price varies from $4 to $30. 

Long story short -- the manufacturer, Loctite, now owned by a German corporation -- sells the real stuff for $25 per ounce. The cheap ones are COUNTERFEIT. After having looked at the real thing it was obvious that the labels on half the Amazon stuff was fake. 

Regular super glue is cheap. Slap a fancy label on one then selling it for 25 bucks is a lot of profit. And the wrong stuff works, just not very well. Amazon is a very UNtrustworthy seller. 

Summit is a great seller.  Their prices are usually decent, they rarely sell junk. But when I bought some bad tubing I was able to leave real (negative) feedback on the product page, and wihoiut me asking gave me a gift card for the value.

Rockauto is at least predictable, consistent, and of you keep in mind that they are a liquidator and not a parts store, they're ok too. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 4:50pm
The counterfeit problem isn't just people buying the cheapest possible item,
any link in the chain from the factory to your doorstep can lead to a counterfeit item.

Even if you buy from a legitimate seller,
you can run the risk of getting a "customer return", that was a fake swap.

Counterfeit prescription drugs have even made their way into legitimate supply chains over the years,
 so any time you have unscrupulous people anywhere, you run the risks of getting fakes.

I agree with using legitimate sellers whenever possible,
but even that is tough,
how many "Johnson Lifter" companies are there now?

Which one is the "good one"?
Are there even any good flat tappet lifters anymore?

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 9:08pm
Oh you're definitely correct, no doubt about it. There's no magical fix. There is the opposite though, lol, walking into cheap bargain ripoffs!

But good, reputable suppliers helps a whole lot. 

Another issue is, it's not reasonable to expect replacement parts for 40, 50, 60 year old cars to be had from ordinary suppliers. (Not talking about standard fasteners etc.) Sales they were on the millions or thousands per year are now hundreds or dozens. Megacorps don't make money from niches.  All the old big names have pretty much been bought by transnational holding companies that squeeze out the cash by cutting costs. 

Specifically hard parts like flat tappets, well yeah, like vacuum tubes, we're out in the "long tail", quantities sold per year had plummeted to nothing. At best old designs get replicated, there's little or no new work done on ancient engines or chassis. 

Cars are no different than any other product. They age out, over and out. Actually cars are BETTER than average as far as old parts go (lots of surplus electronic components too). 

Edited by tomj - Aug/19/2022 at 9:16pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 4:54pm
That was a good entertaining bunch of posts to read, I have been working on the rambler for more then a year and a half now, still haven't driven it, but have restored much of the car, I will one day have my own experiences with how parts I bought from rockauto and summit perform and other parts the internal components of the engine like  flat tappets, timing chain, entire new valve parts and new pistons and rings and bearings on the journals of the crankshaft perform and I hope they aren't bad experiences. It's a car I want to drive and enjoy, not take apart again and again.... I think about these things... 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

That was a good entertaining bunch of posts to read, I have been working on the rambler for more then a year and a half now, still haven't driven it, but have restored much of the car, I will one day have my own experiences with how parts I bought from rockauto and summit perform and other parts the internal components of the engine like  flat tappets, timing chain, entire new valve parts and new pistons and rings and bearings on the journals of the crankshaft perform and I hope they aren't bad experiences. It's a car I want to drive and enjoy, not take apart again and again.... I think about these things... 

I'm with you, do it once and walk away.....
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic