TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front Cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 8:28pm
if you have an aftermarket timing cover, that is most likely where your problem is.  as mentioned above, the slot in the timing gear is crucial.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 7:49pm
I had a failure due to egregious deep slots on the timing sprocket that bled off all the oil that was supposed to lube the distributor drive gears.  So even with a good timing cover and good gears you can still have a problem if the timing chain sprocket is defective.  Slots on an original sprocket were about 030 deep, the one on my 304 they were maybe 100 deep.  

DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by KLW KLW wrote:

It's wearing the dizzy gear and the motor only makes 30 lbs oil pressure.

With all that metal going through it you might be lucky to still have 30 pounds.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
waltl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 2:42pm
Walt L.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 3:15pm
You want a good used OEM if you can get one as was posted earlier in this chain.

A new aftermarket should be your absolute last choice.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 3:45pm
Original covers work, many of the new castings don`t, I think Bulltear still check theirs on a jig and therefore only sell correct ones, but I think they had a high "return to manufacturer" number.

Best look for an original if possible, I found one recently, dismantled from an `80`s jeep, sitting on a shelf at a parts wherehouse for 35years.
keiths 70 AMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2022 at 12:11pm
I have a timing cover I removed from a AMC 1976 360 engine. How can I tell if it's an original AMC 
cover?

1970 360 AMX
1980 Spirit DL
    IN GOD WE TRUST
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2022 at 1:08pm

DeadDead  Silver seal is who ruined AMC timing covers by getting a bad taiwanese one repopped in china. Definitely where Bulltear does not get covers
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2022 at 3:36pm
On my first race motor about 17 years ago, I had a complete chrome plated Bulltear cover bought as a complete assembly.

Of course it did not come with the cam/distributor gears or the timing chain set that I used.

This motor I built was a dist/cam gear eating machine. On this motor I ended up having to go to a bronze distributor gear which I had to change out many times. Along with the oil and filter more than should have been necessary.

I am not saying it was the timing cover. It could have been a combination of differing parts.

It had to be 1 or more of the following. Timing cover, pump gears, milodon end plate and dual line pickup, timing gears , the dist/cam gear themselves, end clearances ??????

It could very well have been operator error on assembly and something I overlooked. The end play clearances were set to a nominal .002-.003 by my memory and the oiling slot in the timing gears were proper. I even went so far as to install an external oiler for the dist/cam gears and then an Alfono timing set W/thrust plate to rule out cam walk, all to no avail. The oil pump itself was fairly stiff to turn. I never did try opening the end clearances to a higher figure and I should have tried the oil gears with the pressure relief cuts on them.

I never did figure out the root cause. The engine bearings were in perfect condition when I tore it down and it had great oil pressure. 15 pounds at idle and 80 or so crossing the finish line at 7500.

When I built my newer iron motor I went to an Indy cover w/razor oil pump, Milodon gear drive and have never had a problem since.

The bottom line is unless you are working with proven components you don't know what you will end up with until you try it out ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic