TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head cc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head cc
    Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 9:31am
I just CCed a set of 291c and a set of 090 heads. They both came out to 58 cc. I did them both twice. Is the "accepted" info that the 291 is 50.88cc and the 090 58cc incorrect? Has anyone else done this to confirm or deny my findings?
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 10:03am
Are you sure that the 291 heads haven't had any combustion chamber work done in the past 50 years?
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 10:10am
Just some larger valves installed but I would think they would make the chamber smaller. 
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 4:31pm
So when they installed the valves did they "unshroud" them, coz if a set of 291C`s is unshrouded you end up with about 54cc, being an Eddy head combustion chamber size.
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 5:22pm
The sides of the combustion chamber near the sides of the valves are in as cast condition. I'd like to know if others have cc 291c heads and what they came up with. It seems odd that AMC would redesign the head and one year later do it again.
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 5:32pm
Production tolerances. Those numbers are "blueprint" numbers, not actual production numbers.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:28pm
I doubt untouched 291Cs would be 7cc over nominal spec.  That's a huge difference.  I did a set like shown in PAS and IIRC they ended up at about 58 CC.  

Pics would be nice of the heads.  It's possible the valves were sunk in the chamber, but that's a lot.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 9:10pm
54.9 cc on my 291c’s after unshrouding the valves and cleaning up the chambers.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 3:46pm
Ii think I found where my extra cc came from. I dragged out an untouched 291 head and CCed that, it came out to 54cc. At closer inspection I discovered that the valves are recessed further in the heads and the larger valves are noticeably more concave than the stock valves. The combustion chambers are untouched. Funny thing is I always thought I had 11.7 compression ratio on my 68 390 but with the newly discovered 58cc heads I actually have considerably less. That combined with the less lift then what was advertised on my cam confirmed by Delta Camshaft I always wondered why my car would "only" run 11.70. Moral is you take nothing for granted and check everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic