TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 290 oil priming issue  *update* ---Apology time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 oil priming issue *update* ---Apology time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:00am
If the timing set is the only new part, seems the most likely culprit.  Sorry, but sounds like you need to pull the timing cover.  Suggest to remove the fuel pump first to have a look while priming, just to double-check there's no oil flow, since it needs to be removed anyway.   A mirror and a light will help.  I don't get much oil on the parts until the engine is running as it relies heavily on splash - mostly runs off the bottom when priming.

Hope this helps, RD.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Passenger rockers are swimming in oil. No problems with pressure evidently. Not sure where I went astray. Am well aware of the cam gear oil slot issue, and was diligent to make sure to re work that groove to get it into alignment. This was a running, driving engine so hard to believe there would now be a #1 cam bearing oil hole alignment issue. I have 0 oil at either the radial slots on the cam gear or the distributor gear. Wish I would have checked this while the engine was still on the stand. At that time I spun the pump until I had good pressure and saw oil at the rockers and left it at that. Never looked down in there to see if the gears were getting oiled. Live and learn. So discouraging.
Did you change the distributor gear on the cam, or install backwards? Many new gear have the oil feed holes drilled too far back and end up blocked by the end of the cam.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:44am

Sorry that I have lead everyone on a wild goose chase because of my inexperience. After pulling the fuel pump, getting my head and a flashlight to where I could see, and pulling the trigger on the drill at the same time, it appears that all is well. I thought that would be the case, as I pulled the fuel pump there was oil dripping, a good sign there was oil through the gears. I mistakenly thought I would see fresh oil from looking in the distributor hole, I was wrong. I now can see why some of you braze some of those radial slots on the gear!! Plenty of oil there. The 1 distributor gear hole that was visible had oil coming out also. Please accept my apology, and I truly appreciate everyone's input. I have come away from this with some new knowledge, and a bit of humility. Thanks again to all!  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 12:00pm
Good news!  Thumbs Up  Now you can get the front clip on and be closer to driving again.  

With the questionable quality of aftermarket parts, never hurts to double-check and ask others if something doesn't seem right, so no need to apologize.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 7:24pm
Glad it turned out good better to be safe than sorry.

J
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 7:39pm
happy you got it figured out..
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 2:42am
Look through the fuel pump hole to get the best view of oil flow. It should be coming out of the cam gear holes if it is correct. What timing set did you use?
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 8:43am
Originally posted by JGRANTAMX JGRANTAMX wrote:

Glad it turned out good better to be safe than sorry.

J

Indeed, much better to ask a few questions than to end up with a bunch of glitter in the oil pan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic