TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 OHV - It’s ALIVE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 7:38am
Well, that filter up top does make it look stock, and no worries about using an NOS filter -- never have to change it! As noted, you COULD connect it if you wanted with no worries, but no need either... I can't see where it would really help. I don't know if the full flow filter is the same as the top mounted one (which uses an industrial filter thread) or more likely the same filter as a 232 (with a more common automotive thread). Probably same as 232 -- the top mounted one if harder to find on the shelf in stores, but if you go to a store that caters to the industrial/trucking market you may find it. The filter is used on a lot of older refer trailer motors. Larger Car Quest and NAPA stores may have it on the shelf.
Frank Swygert
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 8:32am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Well, that filter up top does make it look stock, and no worries about using an NOS filter -- never have to change it! As noted, you COULD connect it if you wanted with no worries, but no need either... I can't see where it would really help. I don't know if the full flow filter is the same as the top mounted one (which uses an industrial filter thread) or more likely the same filter as a 232 (with a more common automotive thread). Probably same as 232 -- the top mounted one if harder to find on the shelf in stores, but if you go to a store that caters to the industrial/trucking market you may find it. The filter is used on a lot of older refer trailer motors. Larger Car Quest and NAPA stores may have it on the shelf.
I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but I know for sure they are different. The partial flow filters I always bought all had a piece of sheet metal immediately inside with a small hole in it as compared to the full flow filter which is "hollow" as you'd expect on any "modern" filter. That "hollow" filter is required on my full flow pump as there is a 1/2" or so tube that sticks out at least 4" that the filter slides over. Not sure if the threads are the same or not, but I guess it wouldn't matter as you mentioned its (the partial flow filter) is more difficult to find, so there'd be no reason to use it in my case. I'm pretty sure that full flow filter is quite common as I kind of remember recognizing the number last time I looked at it.     From what I can gather that full flow set up must be kind of rare as I've never seen one for sale while I often see replacements available for the earlier model. Always an adventure.

Jacin
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
pald View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 8:22pm
Wow, looks great! Mine is still mostly covered in 50+ years of Oklahoma dirt and road tar...
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 8:35pm
PB50 Fram for the partial flow. PH11 Fram for the full-flow.
Napa 1050  vs. Napa 1049

Nice work! And I hope it runs a long time and brings you and your wife smiles!
Do keep the head torqued and the valves adjusted....but you know that already!

Edited by ramblinrev - Aug/20/2022 at 8:39pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 11:15pm
If you are needing a filter with an anti-drain back valve I wouldn't trust the WIX. I don't think the 1049 is even listed as having one. The 51258 shorter version apparently has one but with three different filters none worked for me. If you spin off the filter and drop it in the pan and oil comes out the outside holes then the ADV does't work. The filter should stay full. Without a working ADV my 232 rattles like crazy on start up. I guess all the oil drains or siphons back into the pan.

My favourite filter is the Purolator L30005 but my local supplier doesn't sell them anymore. I've also used Delco PF24 and Fram PH11 with no problems. I bought a K&N for next oil change but don't remember the number right now.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

If you are needing a filter with an anti-drain back valve I wouldn't trust the WIX. I don't think the 1049 is even listed as having one. The 51258 shorter version apparently has one but with three different filters none worked for me. If you spin off the filter and drop it in the pan and oil comes out the outside holes then the ADV does't work. The filter should stay full. Without a working ADV my 232 rattles like crazy on start up. I guess all the oil drains or siphons back into the pan.

My favourite filter is the Purolator L30005 but my local supplier doesn't sell them anymore. I've also used Delco PF24 and Fram PH11 with no problems. I bought a K&N for next oil change but don't remember the number right now.

I just took WIX off my personal list as I found out they are now made in China. Interesting comments about the ADVs.  You got me thinking THAT'S why they have the "standoff tube" for lack of a better word on my filter assy. My filter mount has a 1/2" or so diameter tube about 4 or 5 inches long that comes out of the center of the filter mount, I never gave I much thought, but now wonder if that's how the factory ensured a full filter without a ADV. Hmnnnnn  

I have a bunch of leftover FL2 filters that I believe will fit. I will have to research those more before trying one, thanks for the other references - I will jot those down in my note book.

Jacin 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 7:03am
The full flow filter cast iron 195.6 IS rather rare -- only used for 1965 in Americans. It was a relatively cheap mod, just a minor casting change and the filter adapter plate added. That plate is at least similar to the aluminum block plate that was already designed and made (all aluminum block 195.6 OHV engine had a full flow filter -- slightly different oil pump than the iron block though... not sure if the filter adapter plate interchanges or not, but I doubt it).

Makes you wonder why spend the money even for that minor change when AMC had to know that was going to be the last year they used the 195.6. I suppose for marketing, to keep the old engine from looking like too much of an antique. As noted, it wasn't a costly change, but still...

Edited by farna - Aug/22/2022 at 7:05am
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

(snip)
Makes you wonder why spend the money even for that minor change when AMC had to know that was going to be the last year they used the 195.6. I suppose for marketing, to keep the old engine from looking like too much of an antique. As noted, it wasn't a costly change, but still...

Having worked in an engineering environment, my SWAG would be that the Engineers were the last to know. :-)

Jacin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic