TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Zolatone Splatter Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zolatone Splatter Paint
    Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 8:23pm
Some time ago Bill D. recommended the black and white Zolatone splatter paint for the 1970 model AMC's.   I used that paint today and it is good.  I sprayed over PPG DP-90 black epoxy primer with a new paint gun that had a 2.0 air cap.  The data sheet recommends at least a 2.0 air cap diameter.  I had to buy a new paint gun to get that large of a tip, but it was worth it.  I highly recommend this paint if your AMC has the splatter paint finished used in the 1970 era and perhaps later.   I think the product code on the paint was 2t-70-21 but I could be wrong.  I can confirm that if anyone is interested.  Oh and the paint dries with a durable finish that does not need to be overcoated with matte clear.  It requires a little more pressure at the gun than most paints.  You cannot use the small filter at the base of the paint receptacle in the gun.  You cannot use a standard paint strainer because of the viscosity of the paint.  So you must ensure that the paint is stored so it does not get contaminants before you put it in the gun.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 8:38pm
 I have some I bought from the info Bill posted although I have not used it yet, Zolatone 20/71 onyx/black paint, no clear coat required. My trunk has been painted with epoxy sealer primer then black urethane it's ready for spatter, thanks for posting the spray gun info.

J

Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 1:44am
I've sprayed zolatone quite a few times starting in the early 90s and it's great stuff. We used it a lot before sprayable bed liner became popular. Even sprayed an entire Chevy Apache truck body with it per a customer request. That one we clear coated with flattening agent in it. It holds up well, covers good, looks unique and different... I recommend it for a lot of things.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 12:09pm
Good info, thanks!!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:45pm
I believe that Brooke Pitt was the first to discover the Zolatone- like 20 years ago.  I thought he said that it wasn't waterproof, so it needed a flat clear if you wanted it to really last.  
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 10:13pm
Steve_P View Drop Down, that's correct for 20 years ago.  The Zola tone needed to be top coated to waterproof the paint.  A big pain in the posterior.
Mike
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 7:34am
Pacerman

Did you use a Zolatone catalyst or clear coat? The Zolatone instructions have directions for use with a catalyst however I am not able to find any they also list a clear coating. Below is the 20 series Zolatone description for the product.

J

Zolatone's durable finish requires no special maintenance and can be washed and waxed just like paint. Zolatone resists many common solvents. Most soiled areas are easily cleaned up. Over time, even a durable coating like Zolatone, with itsunique properties, can eventually be damaged. However, its formulation allowsfor repairs and maintenance without extensive preparation. Simply clean up the damaged area with a wax and grease remover, re-prime if necessary; then spray Zolatone and allow to dry. In most instances, it can be repaired in the field.When dry, Zolatone both blends in and adheres to itself with virtually no visible repair marks; another time and cost savings benefit.

Zolatone is a durable coating that resists wear from abrasion, scratching, and chipping in normal everyday use. Far tougher than regular paint, Zolatone offers you one of the most unique and dependable coatings available today!

Long after regular paint has faded, scratched, or chipped off, a Zolatone finish still looks great. Zolatone's multi-colored, textured surface provides a unique benefit by fooling the eye so that dents, dings, sanding scratches, weld marks, and other defects in the metal seem to disappear. Even the beaten-up bedsof old work trucks can look terrific with Zolatone.

For enhanced water and chemical resistance, without sacrificing adhesion or impact resistance, our Quick Step Catalyst is designed for use with Zolatone 20Series. The use of this catalyst is strongly suggested and is to be used if higher performance of Zolatone 20 Series multicolor is desired.

ZOLATONE 20 Series is a polychromatic, modified nitrocellulose coating with a flat background color under accenting fleck colors. This coating system provides an unusual decorative and camouflaging effect that is also durable, flexible, and simple to maintain and repair when needed.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:10am
I did not use the catalyst.  I could not find it listed for sale anywhere.   I might yet clear coat it though, but it certainly seems durable when thoroughly dried.   I do like the appearance as sprayed.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 9:50am
Would this work for a fake vinyl roof?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic