TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

8.8 Ford Rear End

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nudhistbudhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 3:13pm
I used an explorer 8.8 in my spirit. I set it in the car and looked at the driveline angles and was not a fan so I had it narrowed and used two short axles. For my own want, I replaced the clutches, installed them a hair tight, and regeared.

The parking brake cables was a bit interesting to fit up to the stock front cable but doable.  I used the explorer rear cables.

Lastly, I left the abs sensor and used it to trigger my autometer speedo and it works awesome
Greg

1980 AMC Spirit GT
4.0/ax15 swap
Ford 8.8
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

That got me wondering, can the torque links be made to work with the 8.8? 

Yes, but you would have to enlarge the radius where they sit on the axle, as the the 8.8 has bigger diameter axle tubes.
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2023 at 12:22am
Big thanks to everyone who replied!! I got educated on the Ford 8.8 to be able to use one in my Little Monster Gremlin!! 

After asking the question I kind of put the rear end upgrade on hold to give myself time to move forward on other things on the car and think about which way I want to go with the rear axle assembly. 

The Link that Adam (Javelin GT) posted has some really good information and details!!

Thanks again guys, this has been really helpful to me!

Dennis    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
70Xcode View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Xcode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 8:42pm
Well the explorer is offset but you get 31 spline axles and it's easy to cut about 3" off the longer tube and making it centered 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 1:23pm
Speaking of park brake calipers, you can also use 98-07 Honda Accord rear calipers and rotors, just have to make your own mounting bracket. I'm going to be doing this later this summer on a 61 American convertible. 

Edited by farna - Feb/04/2023 at 1:25pm
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic