TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory starter that clears long-tube headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:34am
I run those same Hooker headers with the 1-7/8" tubes and 3-1/2" collectors. I also have the original starter (although they've been rebuilt and exchanged a few times.

I don't have to lift the engine but I do need to unbolt the headers at the collector and cylinder head in order to get the starter out. It helps to have a second person hold and wiggle the header while you maneuver the starter beneath to remove it.

Any yeah - joy is not the word I would use either. Smile
Mark Quasius
1972 Javelin-AMX
401 4-Speed
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 1:47pm
I have the 1 7/8" Hooker 7103s in my '74 Javelin.   The headers came with instructions to R&R.   Follow the instructions.  IRRC, have to trim the driver's side engine mount cushion (otherwise, interferes with one tube), unbolt the engine mounts and ground strap, raise the engine and rotate slightly to install the passenger's side header.   I used a bungee cord to the header and one to the starter and an engine support across the engine bay like shown in the TSM.   Bungee cords help a bunch when you don't have an assistant to help.   

Now have a Powermaster 9515 starter and there was room to R&R without removing the header with the stock pan.  When I fit an Armando road-race style pan with wide sump, needed to do the header/starter shuffle again - but loosening the header mounting bolts got enough wiggle-room for me.   Also used stepped header studs with small hex nuts as makes it much easier to align than bolts. 

If keeping the stock starter, a heat-shield / blanket is recommended.  Mine always struggled to start with the stock starter when hot.  The Powermaster has been fine.

Hope this helps, RD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic