TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with Upper Control Arm bolt orientation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 5:25pm
madams - Interesting on going all grade 8 due to grade 5 quality problems.

On that same topic, quality & strength, grade 8 is certainly the higher strength of the two; that said, what’s the application call for? By that I mean stronger isn’t always better. Example: my snowblower has shear bolts connecting the blade & shaft. Upgrading that bolt will lead to needing a gearbox or other expensive none consumable.

Control arms? Should bolts fail and save the frame? Did they engineer for that type of situation in 70? Doubt it. Curious if that bolt size exists elsewhere on the car and demands grade 8? Imagine it was more supply chain and they bought what was available and met min spec. I assembled gear boxes for a place called Nord Gear in the 90’s and we always had the proper bolt. Each assembler certainly had a style… how seals were set etc. 

Now I want to go look at my 74 and see what it has, curious.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 9:06am
From 2000-2005 I worked at a plant that made frames for Ford Explorers. The Ford Louisville Assembly plant was about 30-35 miles away from our facility, and Ford was big on "just-in-time" inventory control. On the line, we were told that if a problem on OUR assembly lines caused Ford's assembly lines to shut down, our company would be fined $10,000 a minute for the time Ford's line was down due to lack of frames. We shipped frames primarily by rail, but we also shipped framed by truck when necessary to deliver more quickly.

I'd wager that AMC never implemented "just-in-time" inventory procedures because it just wasn't done in the '60's and '70s. But if a supplier went on STRIKE, that might affect supply in those days.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 7:52pm
How do you guys get new ones that I rather put new ones on
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
RogerS. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 2:07pm
  amx007-  I found 1/2-13 x 3 1/2  grade 8 for my upper control arms at ACE hardware for $3.41 each.  Home Depot advertises cheaper but further away from me.  I noticed my lower control arm eccentric bolts I removed which I believe to be factory are grade 8.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 1:58pm
Interesting on going all grade 8 due to grade 5 quality problems.

There's no reason to believe that a bolt graded 8 will be higher quality than one graded 5 from the same manufacturer. 

Better to buy fasteners from a better quality source, and not the local hardware store. My local ACE Hardware sells Grattan brand, whoever they are. Iv'e not had one fail, but the threads are not the highest quality.

For stuff that matters (suspension) I buy from MCMaster-Carr. I don't know and have no way to check if those are higher quality.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by RogerS. RogerS. wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could tell me the grade of bolts on your same build month Mbwicz.

Sorry it took so long to get this. Mine are all grade 5 with an ‘E W F’ head marking on them. I had them zinc plated. Dec 69 build. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 6:48am
When I bought my old '70 AMX in 2002 it had been stored since 1979. Took photos of it when I was taking it apart. Pretty sure it had never been apart. The orientation of the upper control arm bolts have the bolt heads facing each other.

-Steve-

greenhue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 4:58pm
The only reason that I can think of is the socket is easier to get on the nut if it is outside the control arm. Your wrench would hold the bolt head on the inside and the air gun will tighten the nut. 
drive it while you can
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Originally posted by RogerS. RogerS. wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could tell me the grade of bolts on your same build month Mbwicz.

Sorry it took so long to get this. Mine are all grade 5 with an ‘E W F’ head marking on them. I had them zinc plated. Dec 69 build. 

Mike

My 68's have the same bolts FWIW.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic